Mjt finishing

Goodness knows I've had my share of special to only me ideas. I imagine virtually EVERYONE on the forums is that way. There ARE a handful of people who'd rather assemble a "bog standard strat" from aftermarket parts because they feel they're getting superior quality but... I imagine most of them would be better served by simply putting the attention they spent putting their Warmoth together on setting up their Fender. Many folks just want to be able to pick a pretty top and know what they're getting. I imagine quite a few of us are here because we like stuff like stainless steel 6230 frets, reverse angled tele bridges, lefty baritone explorers with Tele pickups, and the like.

Make it yours. Occasionally someone will talk you out of something you thought was a good idea - but usually only if they've got a similar idea and tried it and were disappointed. But you're making YOUR guitar, not theirs. But especially when it comes to aesthetic stuff - get what makes you happy.

I've sent three guitar bodies to MJT and only one of them I had reliced. They did a tremendous job, were communicative, sent me pictures to review, and are just good people to interact with. I would not hesitate for one second to work with MJT. Two of the bodies I had done I asked for a relatively glossy nitro finish that looked new and got it. For my relic piece I picked an example from their gallery and sent them a picture I printed from the internet of another guitar to show the location of the relic work I preferred. I could not have asked for better in what I got from them. If I want a poly finish I'll use Warmoth, anything else I am happy with MJT.

The three MJT finished bodies.

Attachments

• Strat (375x500).jpg
    Strat (375x500).jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 359
  • Tele (600x450).jpg
    Tele (600x450).jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 324
  • Relic (400x300).jpg
    Relic (400x300).jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 311
musicispeace said:
If I want a poly finish I'll use Warmoth, anything else I am happy with MJT.

This is what i was trying to say in one of my earlier posts. If I want pristine condition, warmoth all the way

TBurst Std said:
Do you have more pics of that Strat which appears to have a Mary Kaye finish?

I have these. The body is poplar with a maple top that I got in the Warmoth Showcase unfinished. The back had a lot of green streaks and the like (which I actually liked and for a time considered a clear finish) and I asked MJT to do a translucent white (Mary Kaye) finish. The In Progress picture is one I got from them prior to final stages. In regular light it looks white front and back. The maple top has a little figure but is by no means A grade. I had trouble resizing the pictures to get them to upload, my apologies. 

Attachments

• In Progress (200x133).jpg
    In Progress (200x133).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 298
  • Mary K Strat (300x225).jpg
    Mary K Strat (300x225).jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 280
And the starting point for the strat body, the poplar side. I think I have paid $275 each time for a finish but my last one was a year ago so don't know if its changed. I got what I wanted so I am satisfied.

Attachments

• Starting Point.jpg
    Starting Point.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 319
I'm surprised at that price, and I'm a low-price kinda guy. Lacquer finishes are a lotta work, and then they wreck it afterward, which is even more work. I would have expected something in the $400-$500 range. Even more on the left coast.

Cagey said:
I'm surprised at that price, and I'm a low-price kinda guy. Lacquer finishes are a lotta work, and then they wreck it afterward, which is even more work. I would have expected something in the $400-$500 range. Even more on the left coast.

I think its gone up a little now. I got the lowest price because I had new, unfinished bodies. If they have to take your finish off first it can get up there. If they provide the body its up around what you were expecting. I've seen some relic work out there from various sources that turned my stomach but I've seen a few I thought were very cool. You saw that one relic black strat body I got from them when you built that guitar for me. I just wanted something I thought of as tasteful character. I have to say they followed my visual examples to the T. Funny thing is I can't bear neck relicking, but on the body I sometimes like it. I think its good for folks to know that they can get work from MJT that is not relic if they so choose.

musicispeace said:
I've sent three guitar bodies to MJT and only one of them I had reliced...

A few years back I checked their site and I remember reading they don't offer non reliced finishes. I've never checked again.

musicispeace said:
Funny thing is I can't bear neck relicking, but on the body I sometimes like it.

I have to agree. I'm also in the camp that says the neck is everything. If it doesn't feel/play well, there's no hope for the guitar other than replacement of the neck. It's why I specialize in that work. Do what you will with the body and electricals, but if the neck ain't right, you're in trouble right out of the gate.

Kostas said:
musicispeace said:
I've sent three guitar bodies to MJT and only one of them I had reliced...

A few years back I checked their site and I remember reading they don't offer non reliced finishes. I've never checked again.

That may have been their operating policy at that time, but they've done it for me. Clearly they specialize in doing relics but they've done two "as new" finishes for me and I have been very happy with them. If I recall I think the first one I asked them for was a minor relic and then the following two were not. Great people to work with though.

Cagey said:
musicispeace said:
Funny thing is I can't bear neck relicking, but on the body I sometimes like it.

I have to agree. I'm also in the camp that says the neck is everything. If it doesn't feel/play well, there's no hope for the guitar other than replacement of the neck. It's why I specialize in that work. Do what you will with the body and electricals, but if the neck ain't right, you're in trouble right out of the gate.

Could not agree more. Lots of science and engineering in the neck. I don't mess with them.  :)

Was it here that I saw the video where a guy screwed a Tele neck to a fence post, the screwed a Tele bridge and pup to the post and string it up? Sounded like a Tele pretty much and was playable.

Yes. The first one is setup/philosophy stuff, in the second we see it brought to life.

[youtube]0YI7KSE0rbI[/youtube]

[youtube]S3vbK2GRKtY[/youtube]

Cagey said:
Yes. The first one is setup/philosophy stuff, in the second we see it brought to life.
Guess that puts the "Tone Wood / Electric Guitar" debate to bed! Might even give new meaning to the term "Decked Tremolo".......  :icon_jokercolor:

Hehe! Yeah.

a4d947cf4f50c418e6d103ff1c6a1446--biopic-movies-johnny-carson.jpg

That is some weird, wild stuff!

But, no. Too many people have too much invested in the whole "tone woods" idea for electric bodies for that to ever stop being a thing.

No, of course not. It was pressure-treated kiln-dried Brazilian Balsa. But, you're not supposed to know that.

Back