Mjt finishing

Fender.Fan

I ordered a Warmoth body and had it sent over to MJT, anyone else done this? Or own any Mjt finished guitars? I know relics aren’t for everyone. Mjt does offer finishes that aren’t reliced, but if I want my guitar all shiny and new looking, I’m gonna have Warmoth do it.  :glasses10:

I had to look up MJT as I didn't know what that was.
And no, I haven't done this. I'm not very fond of the whole relic thing.
Having a guitar that gets worn is one thing but paying money to get a new guitar that looks like it's been used ..? I guess Fender and their Custom Shop - and others that do relicing - must be laughing all the way to the bank ... but, personally, I don't see the point.

But that's just me - to each his own - and all that :icon_thumright:

I definitely wasn’t a fan of relics at first, but sometime they just look great. I guess it would be a lot more satisfying if it was all your wear and tear and not bought.

someone on our BBs got it like this with warmoth neck :

182705q75x9lux37i3ulmu.jpg

133606xuguskegulzxto1h.jpg

I’m not a fan of relic finishes per se, but I can understand the cost of them. Time materials and skill to get the perfect finish, then more time to undo it

I'm not a fan of relic'd guitars, but even if I were, I can't imagine paying to have a perfectly good finish applied and then destroyed when there are so many used guitars out there in poor condition that can be had for front pocket money. At least that would look authentic. Deliberate rapid aging, even when done by somebody like MJT who's supposedly "good" at it, is always as obvious as a toupée.

That said, I've had one of MJT's examples here, and they do a reasonable job. Still obviously not real, but better than most I've seen. If one must do a fake relic, they'd be the ones to have do it.

Completely understandable Cagey! I get what you’re saying, but most beat up instruments are poly, so it’s not gonna wear the same as a nitro finish!

I'm not generally a fan of the relic thing either, but  there have been some nice examples of MJT's work on the forum - kolsky's lovely Les Paul Jnr entered in last month's GOTM for one.

Nothing to do with MJT, but I recently had one of Fender's best (ie most expensive, 'Masterbuilt') efforts pass through my hands

Looked like this:

mE1kJb2.jpg

Compared to other Fender Strats - including other 'normal' custom shop ones it was nothing special it was an absolute bloody joy - instantly felt just right, played great and, with its absurdly mythologised Abby Ybarra pickups, sounded amazing too.

All in all, quite annoying really. Still doesn't mean it was good because somebody beat the crap out of it. Or does it?

Had a guy practically sell his soul to take it off me.

Sorry, just felt like sharing!

To each their own! I don’t absolutely live by relic builds, but I’m building one currently, thought I’d see what you guys have/think.  :icon_thumright:

In general, I don't find relic'd guitars to be to my taste.  But when Fender first started marketing its Mexican-made Road Worn series a few years back, I played about a half-dozen of them over a couple months of visits to my area shops, and damned if I couldn't find a clinker in the lot.  Ever one of them was tremendously well set up, and a blast to play.  Go figure.

An unattractive appearance and high performance aren't mutually exclusive. You see it in street racers sometimes. Being banged-up or raggedy-looking, or having the appearance of a standard stock vehicle (sleepers) are methods meant to mislead challengers in competition. In the case of guitars, it's meant to mislead observers into believing the player has time in grade or long experience.

I plan on ordering an MJT body for my next build.  I'm putting together a reliced pink paisley strat.  I think relicing is all in the eye of the beholder.  I don't see it as meant to convince people the player has long experience.  To me it's just a look, that's all.  I've played for 30 years and the oldest guitar I have is my first Warmoth that I built in 2010. The black finish has a few missing spots and the maple fretboard is getting a lot of dark spots.  It looks pretty cool. 

Relic'ed guitars remind me of pre-torn jeans.
If I want a pair I either do it myself (by wearing them) or go top Salvation Army where I can get them for $1.

Seamas said:
Relic'ed guitars remind me of pre-torn jeans.
If I want a pair I either do it myself (by wearing them) or go top Salvation Army where I can get them for $1.

While I agree with you in general, I don't think you could find a beat up '57 Strat at the salvation army for $1 and that's what I think people are going for. 

I don't have any "relic" guitars but MJT has been around for awhile and seems to have a pretty good reputation. I'd think about using them if I just wanted a lacquer finish with little to no "wear".

I appear to be in the minority here, but no matter.
I have 10 MJT bodies.

A jazzmaster in CAR
A tele in midnight blue
A tele in black over gold
A tele in CAG
A strat in Candy Tangerine
Two strat bodies in CAG, one of which is in storage, the other of which is a very nice guitar
A gorgeous blue metallic strat
A purple strat
and the peach, a purple over three tone sunburst strat.

Each of these bodies is paired with a Warmoth neck!

A jazzmaster in CAR - with a canary jazzmaster neck
A tele in midnight blue - with an unfinished maple with maccasar ebony board neck
A tele in black over gold - with a delicious candy striped pau ferro over goncalo alvez neck
A tele in CAG - with another unfinished maple with maccasar ebony neck, but this one has a wolfgang profile
A strat in Candy Tangerine - with a beautiful roasted maple neck and indian rosewood board (that I posted here earlier)
A strat in CAG - with a full maple neck (birdseye, SRV contour)
A gorgeous blue metallic strat - with a full roasted maple neck
A purple strat - new build, unfinished as yet but the neck I have purchased is a beautiful slightly flamed maple with MOP dots
and the peach, a purple over three tone sunburst strat - this is  a very special neck, vintage tint over heavily birdseye maple, dark indian rosewood and MOP dots

- Mark produces good finishes. I don't care if you don't like relics, I do.
- They have all had additional beating by myself through natural play to make them even more delicious

monchavo said:

There is the truth:  No matter.  Do you like your relic guitars?  Yes?  Well, then:  YOU WIN.

Do I care for them?  NO MATTER.  They're your guitars, and it is nobody's business to try and diminish your happiness in what you have. 

I, too, would be gratified to see pictures of guitars that make you happy.  Your happiness in owning them is more important than anyone else's religious objection to relic'd guitars.

Fender.Fan said:
monchavo said:
I have 10 MJT bodies.
Any pictures?
Yes, I'll drag the camera out tomorrow.

Shamefully, I forgot one. Another CAR body - a strat - unloved. sitting still in its original box in the wardrobe. That makes 11. No neck for that one, though.

Back