Minwax walnut stain + tru oil finish on tele.

Yeah, the package is silent on it, but as you said it remains water soluble.

I might try a rag with some mineral turpentine and water.

Checking out the product info, it's suitable for exterior use on decking. Sounds like it's similar to the Stew-Mac Colortone water based product, but maybe heavier duty.

This is going to set into an extremely hard plastic-like finish after curing/drying and can only be wiped back with a wet cloth PRIOR to drying out.

You're going to need an electric palm sander and a goodly amount of sandpaper to remove.

I quit using this type of product and went to oil based fillers; while they take a lot longer to dry/cure they're much easier to sand back in situations like this.

Are you sure man?

That seems odd considering I can leave the stuff to dry in a cup, come back days later, add a few drops of water and just mix it right up again.

haha dear god I hope it isn't as tough as you describe. I'll update when I've had a chance to do battle with it.

vestige said:
Are you sure man?

That seems odd considering I can leave the stuff to dry in a cup, come back days later, add a few drops of water and just mix it right up again.

haha dear god I hope it isn't as tough as you describe. I'll update when I've had a chance to do battle with it.

??? I never heard of this product before, checked out this page: http://www.intergrain.com.au/woodblend.html

If it is suitable to use on outdoor decking (from that website: "Interior and exterior timbers including decking, flooring and furniture." I'd assume it was like the Stew-Mac product I was referring to, don't quite understand how something suitable for outdoor decking could be re-soluable in water...

HAve you tried to sand it back/wipe it back with water yet?

Cagey said:
I'm not sure you can strip filler out. It's down in the grain, where you really can't get at it. It usually takes stain, though. Maybe you should continue leveling it, and then stain it.

Another trick you might try for darkening without staining is Potassium Dichromate. I used it on a Mahogany body and got good results. Not the color I wanted because of the variety of Mahogany it was, but a good result, nonetheless. Walnut would respond the same way, for the same reasons. You can read what I did here.

Sorry I'm late to the game - I've been sneaking peeks from my iPhone, and I hate typing on it.

So - I like Cagey's idea, but you could also try Ammonia - still toxic, but less so. Infinitely easier to dispose of.
http://canadianhomeworkshop.com/1546/tips-tools/techniques-tools-resources/restoration-workshop-darkening-wood/1

jackthehack said:
vestige said:
Are you sure man?

??? I never heard of this product before, checked out this page: http://www.intergrain.com.au/woodblend.html

If it is suitable to use on outdoor decking (from that website: "Interior and exterior timbers including decking, flooring and furniture." I'd assume it was like the Stew-Mac product I was referring to, don't quite understand how something suitable for outdoor decking could be re-soluable in water...

HAve you tried to sand it back/wipe it back with water yet?

I had a layer of the stuff dry on there ready to sand. That came off just fine with water. Really easily actually.

As far as the stuff in the actual pores... The issue I think is that wiping it sn't getting in there. I've been sanding the past 30 mins to an hour but as you can imagine it takes a shitload of sanding to get down far enough. I wonder if I can just do a bit of sanding and then put the ebony timbermate i have over the top...

I used Stewart McDonald's Ebony fretboard stain on the body then sanded to get the look I wanted....which happened to be old, worn and weathered.

Attachments

• Easter 142.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 454
Here's my walnut Krank n Stein, it was done totally with just Danish oil. No filler what so ever, I just wet sanded with the danish oil with 400 grit for several coats, then switched to 600 grit for several coats. The sanding dust mixed with the oil makes a natural filler of the bodies own dust. Then did several more coats of just oil.

Before
index.php

after
index.php

DangerousR6 said:
The sanding dust mixed with the oil makes a natural filler of the bodies own dust. Then did several more coats of just oil.

Before
index.php

Yeah, that will work with Tru Oil as well. Another sweet ziricote fretboard there Dangerous. Love the ziricote.  :eek:ccasion14:

Some seriously awesome finishes linked above.

That Danish oil one looks so good and sounds so easy... ahh well, I've already gone down the rabbit hole haha.

After removing the so called 'walnut/dark oak' filler from the pores with a brass brush and water, I've grain filled the top again with black timbermate today.

Looks much better, and it's exactly what I was going for, although it is hard to see in the crappy iPhone pictures.

What you can see though is these weird patchy bits. Can you guys shed any light on what's causing it? I thought it was just excess filler but sanding seems to have no effect, and I'm worried that I'll just be sanding through the filler anyway.

Next step is to stain with a minwax water based walnut stain. Do you guys reckon the patches will show through?

I've blown up one of the areas that I'm talking about in the pictures below.

Attachments

• IMG_1977.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 386
  • Blown up.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 327
Here it is with some mineral spirits wiped over it.

Weird dark bits stand out a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_1982.JPG
    853.9 KB · Views: 404
Did you seal the wood before you stained it? Some woods need it, others not so much. Maple, for instance, will often come out splotchy like that if it's not sealed first.

No, I didn't. I guess that's all it is. But yeah, I had read that only woods like maple and ash needed sealing. Oh well, hopefully when it all gets stained darker it won't be too bad.

Edit: Oh wait, sorry misread what you said. I haven't stained it yet, just put the black grain filler on. The filler is what has brought out the splotchy patches.

I see. Well, if that's the case, you probably didn't do yourself any favors by scrubbing on it with a wire brush. You created artificial grain that the filler is finding a home in.

If it was me, I'd get a good sanding block and try to take it back to raw. Don't just use your hand at this point - you'll make the final finish all wavy. Start with a 220, and once it looks even, clean it off with some 320. Seal it with couple/few coats of clear wood sealer or a clear wash coat, lightly sand it smooth again with some 320, then do the filling thing. Walnut has a more open grain, so it may take more than one pass with the filler. Lightly sand between coats.

Filler isn't meant to change the color of the wood, it's to fill in the fine nooks and crannies, so don't be concerned if the high points come out light. The stain will change the color of those.

Unfortunately that was the only way to get the light/terrible looking filler out.

I guess I'll go back to sanding  :sad1: I've been using a cork sanding block the whole time. I tried sanding the dark patches a bit before but it didn't seem to have any effect so I guess I'll really have to get into it.

Cheers for the advice.

I think I've just spent the last hour, sanding in basically a direct line with 180 grit.

I can see the problem areas as lighter patches when I turn the guitar in the light.

They don't seem to be disappearing at all.

I think that it's time I admitted defeat and sought some professional help...

Or, just be patient.

Finishing guitars is a lot more difficult than it looks. Everybody's gotta try it at least once, though. If nothing else, it puts your mind at ease when you pay somebody else to do it. You realize how much work it is, most of which isn't any fun at all.

Oh, I'm happy to put in the work. But after sanding essentially 1 spot for near an hour, with little to no avail, I just feel like I'm doing it wrong haha

Cagey said:
Or, just be patient.

Finishing guitars is a lot more difficult than it looks. Everybody's gotta try it at least once, though. If nothing else, it puts your mind at ease when you pay somebody else to do it. You realize how much work it is, most of which isn't any fun at all.
Amen to that. It's always easy to tell people who have done it before, because they're the ones who don't ask me how much longer until I'm done when they just gave me the body 5 days ago, or ehy it's taking a few more days when there's a blemish to repair.

Back