"microphonic" pickup?

jerryjg

Well, Ive got a very resonant,  live  -almost hollow sounding Mahogany Strat, and the neck pickup and middle sound very good, but when i switch to the bridge, which is overwound at about 11K , I get this very metallic plinky noise like a pick axe hitting iron ore "plinkplink".
Its weird. Maybe I should try something like a Duncan JB jr in the bridge? Thats what I'll probably do, as I have one sitting around in my drawers.
I generally do not like to mix Buckers and Singles, but I guess I'll have to.

The bridge pickup can pickup the trem springs resonating...
If you use something to prevent them from vibrating, perhaps the problem could go away?
(The other pickups are not over the springs, so don't pick them up)

11k, strat single coil?    Do you remember, if these are aftermarket pickups, whether the original pickups also had this problem?

neuftone said:
11k, strat single coil?    Do you remember, if these are aftermarket pickups, whether the original pickups also had this problem?
Yeah, its a custom pickup. No, I cant say there is any correlation to the past pickups since ive dont some work and set a new vintage Stars brass trem to be floating where as the old trem was completely messed up.
I am going to try that JB Jr. in the bridge., Its a humbucker and might reolve the issues.
You guys should try a mahogany body Strat! Really Acoustical in nature.

I've had my bridge strat pickup sound very odd when I got it too close the the strings.  Try backing it way off and raising it til the levels are even with the other two pickups.  If it doesn't work, try the humbucker.
Patrick

Back