Methinks I goofed

Graffiti62

Hi Everybody--

I finally put the budget Squire together tonight, sans the new paint job (still looks beat up, but has a nice new scratchguard on it). I am having some problems with my wiring job. The neck and middle pickups (standard single coils) sound great and are louder than sin. The bridge pickup (P-90) is about as silent as a mouse. I can get a little sound out of it, but my thought would have been that a pickup with that many coils of wire in it would be even louder than the other two pickups. I'm using a Gotoh Tokai P-90 I bought on eBay. There's a red lead, a white lead, and a bare ground. If I'm not mistaken, my brother used the red lead as the hot.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I goofed?

Thanks!

Well, assuming all of the wiring is correct and there's no cold solder joints, I'd suggest checking the height of your pickup. The bridge should be the closest to the strings.

I have a cream 3-wire p-90 in my pickup graveyard.  I'm thinking white may be hot if its similar because the red is partially soldered to the shield.  

I would guess that blue 313 is correct in saying you have the p-90 wired out of phase, swap the leads and see what happens,
good luck.

big bob said:
I would guess that blue 313 is correct in saying you have the p-90 wired out of phase, swap the leads and see what happens,
good luck.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing...

Back