Methinks I goofed

Graffiti62

Hi Everybody--

I finally put the budget Squire together tonight, sans the new paint job (still looks beat up, but has a nice new scratchguard on it). I am having some problems with my wiring job. The neck and middle pickups (standard single coils) sound great and are louder than sin. The bridge pickup (P-90) is about as silent as a mouse. I can get a little sound out of it, but my thought would have been that a pickup with that many coils of wire in it would be even louder than the other two pickups. I'm using a Gotoh Tokai P-90 I bought on eBay. There's a red lead, a white lead, and a bare ground. If I'm not mistaken, my brother used the red lead as the hot.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I goofed?

Thanks!

C

callaway

Well, assuming all of the wiring is correct and there's no cold solder joints, I'd suggest checking the height of your pickup. The bridge should be the closest to the strings.

blue313

I have a cream 3-wire p-90 in my pickup graveyard.  I'm thinking white may be hot if its similar because the red is partially soldered to the shield.  

big bob

I would guess that blue 313 is correct in saying you have the p-90 wired out of phase, swap the leads and see what happens,
good luck.

T.L.

big bob said:
I would guess that blue 313 is correct in saying you have the p-90 wired out of phase, swap the leads and see what happens,
good luck.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing...