"Metal Tiger"

DocNrock

Master Member
It's a WGD.  But it ain't no Jerry Garcia WGD!  It's a rock/metal guitar.  Jerry had two guitars with this shape, Rosebud and Tiger.  Well, "Metal Rosebud" didn't exactly work, but "Metal Tiger" does.  Bonus:  Metal Tiger is something really special in the Chinese Zodiac (hence the neck place Dangerous Doug made for me!). 

Specs:

Swamp ash body/Camphor burl top
OFR, recessed, with big brass block from FUTone.com
DiMarzio Crunch lab bridge and LiquiFire neck (John Petrucci set)
500k CTS pots, two volume, one tone, 3 way switch
Black knurled knobs
Metal pickup rings
Standard strap buttons
Missing the trem cover (forgot to order it...D'oh!  :doh:)

3A birdseye maple neck and fretboard
Abalone inlays
22 frets, 6100SS
Gotoh tuners
1 11/16" nut width with R4 locking nut
Truss rod cover I cut myself modeled after an old-time one from Epiphone.

Pics!

Great camphor burl!! Man, you are really crankin' 'em out!!! I'd better get busy! Very fine stuff there, Doc!!

Great Ape said:
Great camphor burl!! Man, you are really crankin' 'em out!!! I'd better get busy! Very fine stuff there, Doc!!

Thank you, Great Ape!  That is that last of them for a (long) while!  I have one more in mind that will be inspired by, but not a copy of, the Adrian Smith Jackson San Dimas Strat.  But that is a long way off!

DocNrock said:
Great Ape said:

Thank you, Great Ape!  That is that last of them for a (long) while!  I have one more in mind that will be inspired by, but not a copy of, the Adrian Smith Jackson San Dimas Strat.  But that is a long way off!

Like, a week or two, huh? :icon_biggrin:

Great Ape said:
DocNrock said:
Great Ape said:

Like, a week or two, huh? :icon_biggrin:

LOL!  More like a few months....  I need to let my wallet recover.    :laughing7:

Oh, my! That is a beautiful piece of work!

I can understand the wanting the wallet to recover. I'll bet if you visited Warmoth, they'd let you sit in the comfy chair  :laughing7:

Cagey said:
Oh, my! That is a beautiful piece of work!

I can understand the wanting the wallet to recover. I'll bet if you visited Warmoth, they'd let you sit in the comfy chair  :laughing7:

Thanks, Cagey!  Appreciate the kind words.  Comfy chair...lol!  :laughing7:

jmcecil said:
That's my favorite of yours so far.  I love Birdseye with colorful inlays.

Thanks, Jmcecil!  The abalone shell goes pretty well the the birdseye, doesn't it?  :icon_thumright:

Jesse said:
So speaking of the neck, I assume that it's finished?  Clear gloss?

Yes, clear gloss.  I went back and forth with satin vs. gloss and chose gloss for this one.  I usually prefer satin.

Pharos said:
That looks really nice! I think we need a video of how that one sounds :D

Thanks for the kind words, Pharos.  :eek:ccasion14:

Regarding the video, I'm thinking my videos have kind of worn out their welcome.  :laughing7:  It's all good, though.  I'm just too short on time and lazy to write and record a multi-track composition, and it is so easy to just jam along with a backing track and record the whole thing with an iPhone.  I shouldn't be surprised if the amount of effort a forum member puts into listening to something I posted is directly proportional to the amount of effort I put into it before posting it.  :laughing7:

I don't think your videos have "worn out their welcome" so much as they're just hard to listen to. Not because of your playing, but the recording itself. Dumping ambient to an iPhone is about as bad as it gets for recording, then YouTube doesn't do you any favors in the quality department.

On the other hand, while these days a surprisingly small investment in software and equipment can return dramatically improved results, you do run into the problem you mentioned of time. Making a decent recording can eat your life. But, that's mainly expended in climbing the learning curve. Once you make the time investment, the subsequent requirements for good results are dramatically reduced.

Cagey said:
I don't think your videos have "worn out their welcome" so much as they're just hard to listen to. Not because of your playing, but the recording itself. Dumping ambient to an iPhone is about as bad as it gets for recording, then YouTube doesn't do you any favors in the quality department.

On the other hand, while these days a surprisingly small investment in software and equipment can return dramatically improved results, you do run into the problem you mentioned of time. Making a decent recording can eat your life. But, that's mainly expended in climbing the learning curve. Once you make the time investment, the subsequent requirements for good results are dramatically reduced.

Very cool, Kevin.  Thank you for what I am going to assume is honest feedback.  I knew the sound quality was not audiophile-level, but I didn't realize it was that bad to the end listener.

We all, at some point in our lives, decided we wanted to learn the guitar (or bass, for some).  We then learned how to play.  Becoming competent at virtually any instrument requires at least some level of dedication to practice.  That weeds out a lot of people whose interest in playing the guitar is not founded in the personal satisfaction of making music (ie., playing guitar to get "chicks").  At least for myself, I enjoy playing and making music, but what I really like is sharing that music with others.  Many years ago, when I had time to play in a band, playing out was the best way to share music.  That is just not possible for me, now.  But, I'll be Captain Obvious and say that the internet has revolutionized the way that one can share virtually anything, including music.

But if the recording is hard to listen to because of poor playback quality, then I guess the goal of sharing music was not really met.  Perhaps I will try an experiment.  I will try to get better recording quality and see what happens.  :eek:ccasion14:   

Back