Ansel - the VIP

DocNrock

Master Member
I had the itch to build a new VIP.  Something a bit different from my other one ("Bungle in the Jungle")

Body:
Swamp Ash, clear gloss
Contoured heel
Unique Choice flame maple cap, black binding
Washed black dye finish, clear gloss
Two humbuckers
Non-recessed OFR with a 47mm big brass block

Neck:
3A Birdseye maple, 1-11/16" nut width (R4)
Unique Choice birdseye fingerboard
Black Mother of Pearl Inlays
Black binding
6100 SS Frets
Standard compound radius
Wizard profile
Grover Tuners
Customized Truss Rod Cover

Other Components:
DiMarzio Tone Zone bridge
DiMarzio Norton neck
RS Guitarworks 500k volume pot
CTS 500k tone pot
Jensen paper/oil 0.022 uf tone cap
3-way toggle.
Black round-top knurled knobs
Standard output jack
Square jack mount
And, of course, a Doug-special neck plate

It's at the shop being set up right now.  When I get it back, I'll probably put a Planet Waves jack in it. 

Wow. :headbang1:

That is amazing. The black binding on the neck looks awesome

Gorgeous axe, Brent.

With all these sexy new axes in the stable, you must be walking around very light-headed from all the blood flow to your groin.

Man, wow... that's addictive. I absolutely fell in love with that maple cap. Definitely one of the most beautiful tops I've ever seen. And the neck with black binding adds something special. Congrats..

Thanks for all the awesome commentary.  This one turned out better than I could have ever imagined.  To be honest, I went back and forth on the neck binding.  In the end, I'm glad I did it. 

I got very kind words from some heavy-hitters on this board.  That means a LOT!  :headbang1:

:rock-on:

I'm a fan of both awesome guitars and Ansel Adam's work.  The washed black finish has the same layers that much of Ansel's work had.  I find myself just staring at the picture (both of the photographer's work and your guitar) and seeing more details the longer I look at it.

Awesome inspiration and fantastic realization of that inspiration.  And "DARN YOU!!" for thinking of it first. :p

Very nice Doc! I really like the contrast with the black binding on that neck. Bright sounding too I imagine, yes?

MikeW said:
Very nice Doc! I really like the contrast with the black binding on that neck. Bright sounding too I imagine, yes?

Thanks, Mike.  You are correct about the bright nature of the guitar.  I suspected it would be, with the swamp ash body and maple neck.  That is why I went with a Tone Zone in bridge.  That pickup, to my ears, is too dark in a mahogany or black korina body.  But it is perfect in this one.  The guitar really brings out the upper mids in the Tone Zone. 

@Pulsehead:  Thanks!  I still don't know why Ansel Adams came to mind when designing this guitar, but I think the tan of the woods was replaced by white in my mind.  Glad you see the source of the inspiration!

Absolutely gorgeous guitar, congrats. I had an idea for a black flame maple guitar in my head but the pics of this guitar are really igniting the GAS!

Mystery of mysteries........

Attachments

• 12. Aspens, Dawn, Dolores River Canyon, CO, 1937_Reduced.jpg
    12. Aspens, Dawn, Dolores River Canyon, CO, 1937_Reduced.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 698
The idea I had was sort of like a cross between this guitar and your Daisy Duke. Last night I "built" a carved top Velocity  in the builder and came up with a $900 body, so that pretty effectively capped the GAS leak :laughing11:

Jesse said:
The idea I had was sort of like a cross between this guitar and your Daisy Duke. Last night I "built" a carved top Velocity  in the builder and came up with a $900 body, so that pretty effectively capped the GAS leak :laughing11:

That will do it!  :icon_thumright:

Back