Metal Pedal Recommendation Wanted

zebra

I was wondering if you folks could help out with a pedal recommendation.

The metal sound I'm going for is usually generated by a high-gain master volume tube amp (which is a thing I don't have, and don't really need), along the lines of Adam Jones (Tool), Mastodon, Chris Haskett (Henry Rollins Band). 

My plan is to set my amp (100w Yamaha solid-state, 1 x 12) to the perfect clean sound, and get all distortion from the pedal. 

- I'm wondering which circuit type would be more appropriate - overdrive circuit versus a fuzz circuit. 

- I like the option of using either batteries or a power supply, and built-in eq and noise suppression are nice, but not necessary.  I may get a separate eq and noise reduction pedal and put them all together as a set.

- Being able to keeping the low-end tight is desirable, as well as not being too shrill.  While I don't necessarily dislike 'vintage-y' things, I'm not hung up on them either.  Modeling doesn't interest me at all. 

- I don't mind getting a little fancy/pricey here, since I don't really spend much on gear anyway, and it would be a key piece.

What do you think?  Thanks for your help!

Recommending a pedal that sounds this way or that way is extremely difficult since we all perceive sounds differently and base our ideas on what a metal sound is.
But I feel I need to recommend Rob Chapman's excellent video about his upcoming pedals where he demonstrates and more importantly talks about the differences in sound between them. I recommend you watch the video, but at about 20:30 he starts talking about the third pedal, the "metal" pedal. And what he says at the beginning there is good advice I think. It's a question of the attack on the sound. Not how much gain. If you want a good metal sound you don't need more gain, but probably less. And instead maybe overdub the track you're recording (and on that note, check out the new T.C. Electronic Mimiq Doubler pedal).

[youtube]vBrXHIuUHms[/youtube]

[youtube]2JH67reYgoo[/youtube]

On a personal note I think the best pedal I have heard is the new Friedman BE OD, but I don't think that's a metal pedal. I think of it more like a Van Halen type of pedal.

[youtube]NVotKbmlDic[/youtube]

That Mimiq Doubler pedal actually looks amazing. Depending on its cost and availability I'll have to look into it. I'm thinking that that would go through the effects loop, yeah?

I have no idea about metal pedals however, Zebra. I like the sound of the MXR EVH 5150 pedal though. I really enjoy the sound of an EVH 5150.

I saw that mimiq pedal yesterday and almost cried, it looks amazing!

I agree with Axkoa, with the MXR EVH 5150 pedal. Fluff has a great demo on it, and you should check it out:
[youtube]_EBO8RN0ES4[/youtube]

In my experience, trying to get overdriven tube sound out of a solid state amp is like trying to get good taste out of non-alcoholic beer. If you've never had real beer before, you can be fooled, but everybody will look at you and wonder why you're bothering.

The only reliable way to get believable overdriven tube sound from solid state components is with a (good) modeller. Think Kemper or Fractal class units. And don't forget to bring a fat checkbook. But, there's a relatively new amp out there that's supposed to be pretty good at it without the steep learning curve or price many modellers bring to the party called the Amp 1 from BluGuitar (available here in the States).

AMP1.jpg

Very simple device, no need to learn arcane programming skills, pretty much just as plug'n'play as a pedal. 100 watts built in to the device, so you simply plug your guitar into it, plug it into a speaker, and away you go. Secret is it has an indestructable tube in it that's supposed to create those magic harmonics that you theoretically can't get any other way. Something to look at, anyway.

Back