meet "Rusty"

willyk

It's been a while, what with overseas trips and other diversions, but I finally got the "Rusty" strat together. Apart from the pickguard, everything came from Warmoth. The body is one piece swamp ash, the neck is an all pau-ferro pro boat, 6130 frets, graphite nut and 1 11/16th width. Pickups- R.G. dual calibrated with the second tone pot wired to the bridge pup

2670063640_1b6476e2d5_o.jpg

I played around with the finish so many times, but finally arrived at something approaching what I was after.​

2669247365_e033c2044a.jpg
2669243467_b25af40db4.jpg

A friend of mine owns a really old Hofner that has a great worn french polish look that I just love to death. So I fart-arsed around with tints and clear coats, steel wool and wax trying to duplicate that look using poly.​

2670073242_13e1be86fa.jpg
2670071380_1703eed3b8.jpg
2670067640_ec8bdf7c22.jpg
2670075184_b5d241840d.jpg

The plan is that eventually the gold paint on the back of the clear pickguard will craze and end up like the red bass in the last pic.
It's called aging disgracefully.. :laughing7:​

Nailed it. I really love this guitar. I ciould call that my own.

<Insert comment about guitar being lefty here>

When did the wax go on, and how long did you let the poly dry up first? I have a guitar with a somewhat similar grainy, violin-y idea (from the movie "The Red Violin") and I'm considering waxing it - the poly's about five weeks dry. I have a bunch of this: http://www.howardproducts.com/feednwax.htm - I use it my fingerboards, dining table...

S6300084.jpg

I waxed a walnut bass and it came out really zippy.

Wow willy, that's one of the nicest finishes I've seen on this board, period. Cheers to you. Look me up if you're ever in NY for sure.

Looks like I'll have to learn to play on "hendrix style" after I get that guitar :evil4: :icon_jokercolor: :laughing7:

Hey WillyK

Thats a fantastic looking guitar.  Is that the one you'd just started before you came over on your world tour of guitar shops?

How's the Gretsch by the way?

Nice one

Jim

jimh said:
Hey WillyK

Thats a fantastic looking guitar.  Is that the one you'd just started before you came over on your world tour of guitar shops?

How's the Gretsch by the way?

Nice one

Jim

That's the one mate. The Gretsch is great. It adds a bit of variety to the stash.. :icon_biggrin:

1523266617_b301308604.jpg

almost... your guitar takes the cake for sure. Defiantly the nicest finish I've seen!!

stubhead said:
When did the wax go on, and how long did you let the poly dry up first? I have a guitar with a somewhat similar grainy, violin-y idea (from the movie "The Red Violin") and I'm considering waxing it - the poly's about five weeks dry. I have a bunch of this: http://www.howardproducts.com/feednwax.htm - I use it my fingerboards, dining table...

I used Feast-Watson carnauba wax right at the end after a light scuff with 0000 steel wool. The body was curing for about 6 weeks while I was away. I don't think the Howards product likes poly :dontknow:

Back