Meanwhile, at Warmoth...trying something new in the Showcase.

I like that you seem to be going to limit the "full guitar" image to just one picture for a given body. That way there is some context that is enhanced but someone like me can still have multiple views with different pick guards and without any pick guard. To be honest, I have been known to screen shoot bodies and necks from the showcase, crop them down, and more or less match them up to see mainly how a neck might look with a body color I am inclined to use. My only suggestion to add would be to not be shy about using some of the exotic neck woods sprinkled in among these new visualizations. Give people something to think about, ya know. I mean, a white strat with a Wenge neck is pretty attention getting. Overall, I like it as long as it isn't everywhere I look. Change is like seasoning in cooking. (or should be)  :)

Timmsie95 said:
It's making me want a seafoam green strat with a vintage maple board..

I didn't expect that to be your thing. I'd love to see you playing Sleepwalk on one of those.  :glasses9:

stratamania said:
Timmsie95 said:

I didn't expect that to be your thing. I'd love to see you playing Sleepwalk on one of those.  :glasses9:

Well i grew up in the SoCal punk scene (even though I'm from Toronto, haha) so that kind of thing catches my eye every once in a while. Almost bought a Fender Elite Strat in that copper metallic finish yesterday, actually... damn...

Timmsie95 said:
stratamania said:
Timmsie95 said:

Well i grew up in the SoCal punk scene (even though I'm from Toronto, haha) so that kind of thing catches my eye every once in a while. Almost bought a Fender Elite Strat in that copper metallic finish yesterday, actually... damn...

Ah that explains it.  :icon_thumright:

Timmsie95 said:
Well i grew up in the SoCal punk scene (even though I'm from Toronto, haha)...

Which one was that? (Late ’70s? Early ’80s? A different one...?)

AutoBat said:
It might be a good idea to put the "Price includes body only" directly on the sample photo with hardware.

Yeah, this.  People who are familiar with Warmoth would just understand.  Someone new to Warmoth, who perhaps might be more familiar with Asian-made guitars, or may be a non-guitarist buying for a guitarist,  might not understand.

Jet-Jaguar said:
AutoBat said:
It might be a good idea to put the "Price includes body only" directly on the sample photo with hardware.

Yeah, this.  People who are familiar with Warmoth would just understand.  Someone new to Warmoth, who perhaps might be more familiar with Asian-made guitars, or may be a non-guitarist buying for a guitarist,  might not understand.

Putting text like that in images in not "best practice", because if you later need to change the verbiage you have to change it in thousands of images, rather than just a simple text change in one place. We have had a similar disclaimer as text below the images for years now, and have not had a problem with people understanding that the pickguards and control plates we sometimes show are not included.

As this goes on, if we find people have a hard time understand what's going on, we will adapt in some way. For now we'll just keep using what has worked so far.

anorakDan said:
Cool idea.

I personally wish you would update the builder to include all the body styles first.

Just sayin'.

This will almost certainly never happen in this version of the website. We are working on an entirely new website that will take a somewhat different approach to the builders, but it is still quite a ways out.

I get that the star and Z bodies might be a while. But I was a little disappointed that <insert whatever body style I'm interested in> I mean "new" body styles haven't been done yet.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if it ain't in the visual builder now, it ain't gonna happen. The visual builder is definitely cool, and a major accomplishment for the guys who built it, but it is a classic case of one's reach exceeding one's grasp. It is so complicated to maintain and add new products to that it's just not something we can keep doing, given the resources we have.

The builders in the first version of the new site will be stripped down, and not have the visual element. Once the new site is up and running, first priority will be to add the visual element back in, albeit in a somewhat stripped down and easier to maintain format.

We are fully expecting weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth, but that's the way it's gotta be for this train to keep rolling.

double A said:
We are fully expecting weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth....

Record that, slap a death-metal/sunshine pop hybrid rhythm track underneath, do a video with constant zooms in and out and split second edits and you got yourself a hit! :headbang1:

double A said:
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if it ain't in the visual builder now, it ain't gonna happen. The visual builder is definitely cool, and a major accomplishment for the guys who built it, but it is a classic case of one's reach exceeding one's grasp. It is so complicated to maintain and add new products to that it's just not something we can keep doing, given the resources we have.

The builders in the first version of the new site will be stripped down, and not have the visual element. Once the new site is up and running, first priority will be to add the visual element back in, albeit in a somewhat stripped down and easier to maintain format.

We are fully expecting weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth, but that's the way it's gotta be for this train to keep rolling.

Thank you for the honest answer. It's not what I was hoping for, but as I regard anything having to do with websites to be alchemy and beyond my understanding, I will leave that to the experts. Warmoth is still the best thing going and I appreciate being able to play with the builder we have. Keep up the great work!

Glimmer said:
double A said:
We are fully expecting weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth....

Record that, slap a death-metal/sunshine pop hybrid rhythm track underneath, do a video with constant zooms in and out and split second edits and you got yourself a hit! :headbang1:

I was going to use the phrase as the title of my next album, but I like this idea better!  :headbang:

The following comes close, only the pop aspect is in the vocal and the looks/moves of the vocalists:

[youtube]WIKqgE4BwAY[/youtube]

:icon_jokercolor:

double A said:
We are starting a pilot-program in the Showcase. To help the imagination-challenged, some body listings will now include images that depict sample necks and hardware in place. Of course, the idea is to increase sales by making it easier to visualize a complete guitar that uses that particular body. Take a look at these listings and let us know what you think:

Alright, since you asked, off the top thoughts....

Since you're helping the imagination (and Photoshop) challenged, I would make the photo the full neck if at all possible. Or one partial like your examples and then a full sized neck photo. I'm pretty imaginative, but the current additional photo by itself doesn't help me much. So I likely wouldn't be alone in this.

I realize stock photos make this easy and fast to implement, but I agree with others, show a variety of necks, not just two or three maple and rosewood. I understand why you wouldn't use identified specific in-stock necks (they might get sold after you publish the combined photos), but I think showing unique or "non-standard" combinations would stoke interest and sales.

Don't limit it to solid color bodies (I realize it's easier to do because you can use "stock photos" for those) but also do with some select figured bodies also.

Anyone wanna buy this?  :glasses10:

PT5139%20final_zpswkgu9ajx.jpg

Back