Meanwhile, at Warmoth...New Floyd Rose video

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
Check it out:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY1gzg5LoPc[/youtube]

You’re doing a great job with all these videos. Informative, funny - excellent stuff! Keep it up :eek:ccasion14:

Or you can ditch the locking nut and install locking tuners - thus leaving more meat right at the critical point of the neck. Less PITA, too.

I do like your videos. Keep it up.
I'd write more compliments, but I have to rest up. It takes a lot of energy flipping that guitar over 6 times to change strings.

Or you could just flip the guitar over once, put all the strings through the trem block, flip it back and string it up. :dontknow:

Ya, ya....I know.  :icon_biggrin:

Still, one way or another you gotta pull six strings out the back of the block, and feed six new ones into it, none of which is necessary on a FR. I still argue that I could restring a FR in about the same time as a vintage trem.

Could be a good video idea.  :sign13:

Don't forget puttering with the locking nut. Assuming you can find the Allen wrench to unlock it. Need to find the wrench that unlocks the bridge, too. They're probably both at the last place you used them, which is home on the bench or table under those papers... or somewhere...

double A said:
Ya, ya....I know.  :icon_biggrin:

Still, one way or another you gotta pull six strings out the back of the block, and feed six new ones into it, none of which is necessary on a FR. I still argue that I could restring a FR in about the same time as a vintage trem.

Could be a good video idea.  :sign13:

Floyds have definitely gotten a bad rap over the years due to inexperience primarily.  I've been playing on them on the high end of 35 years and can change them pretty quickly, and with units like the Tremol-No, it's even faster when you have it in Hard Tail mode & change strings one at a time. 
Change em, stretch em, clamp em, fine tune em, then unlock the device into fully floating and you're gig ready.

Anyone remember these?
http://www.vintagekramer.com/parts3.htm
billedwards1.jpg

Cagey said:
Don't forget puttering with the locking nut. Assuming you can find the Allen wrench to unlock it. Need to find the wrench that unlocks the bridge, too. They're probably both at the last place you used them, which is home on the bench or table under those papers... or somewhere...

True dat.

On my performance pedal board I have an Altoids tin that always contains 4 things: capo, set of earplugs, picks, and.....a 3mm hex wrench. Each one a lesson learned the hard way.

spe111 said:
I do like your videos. Keep it up.
I'd write more compliments, but I have to rest up. It takes a lot of energy flipping that guitar over 6 times to change strings.

If you compliment me six more times, maybe I'll come over and change your next set of strings for you.  :eek:ccasion14:

Or get one of those things that go on the back of the headstock for holding your Allen keys.

Even without that, I have never found it an issue since 1985.

Cagey said:

There is the Floyd Rose turbo trem arm upgrade which sports a 3mm Allen wrench on the base of the trem arm:

https://floydrose.com/collections/upgrades/products/turbotrm?variant=29837657554

I am a home studio guy, so a 3mm wrench is always nearby (in an Altoids tin, no less  :) ), but if I were gigging, I would be interested in one of these.

That's pretty clever. Hidden, doesn't add weight, unlikely to get lost - what's not to love?

First off: great video! :) knew everything, but still fun to watch!

Second: the push in arm holder SHOULD be the standard option, totally agree!  :headbang: I have them retrofitted on both my Warmoth guitars!

Third: One thing you forgot to mention about the nuts, they all have different height  :tard:

I wish Floyd Rose would fix this confusing nut system with something like this:

1. They all have the same height!
2. Make them into 2 top-categories for the width
3. Then the sub-categories could have 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18" radius (the latter 18" being recommended for Warmoths 10-16" compound radius)

I've had a couple of Jacksons straight from factory with 12-16" radius fretboard, but the bridges (FRT-2000) have had stock 12" radius, which does NOT match up at all, the middle strings being way too high compared to the outer strings.

I have no idea how something like that can slip through quality control, or even passed the guys head who designed the guitar.

Great vid DoubleA, I agree, Floyd is no harder than a standard strat to change strings, it's all in experience. And for those in the know, Floyd does make speed loader screws that replace the SHCS in the standard Floyds and there's no snipping of the ball..
FastLoadString.jpg

th

Back