Meanwhile, at Warmoth...Conversion Necks Giveaway!

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
We are giving away two prizes: one Baritone Scale Conversion Neck, and one Gibson® Scale Conversion Neck.

Yep...it's on Facebook. Click here to enter: http://woobox.com/br6mgu

Good luck everybody! (Except GearBoxTy, who is banned for life from entering any more Warmoth contests. :party07: )

Attachments

• FacebookAnnouncement.jpg
    FacebookAnnouncement.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 402
Count me in, too. I could use either of them. I have a Tele that needs a new neck.

Of course, I'd love ordering a new body to go with one of those necks, too. :icon_biggrin:

double A said:
Good luck everybody! (Except GearBoxTy, who is banned for life from entering any more Warmoth contests. :party07: )

Ouch! Harsh, bro!  It's okay, I don't want either of those conversion necks anyway  :icon_biggrin:

raystankewitz said:
I would really like to try a conversion neck H-H Strat build.

I'll bet you'd like it a lot. It's like moving down a gauge set on your strings. If you're used to playing 10s on a 25.5" scale neck, the same set of strings will feel like 9s on the 24.75" neck. That makes bending and vibrato a lot easier.

On the other hand, if you rely heavily on muscle memory to find notes, it's surprising how often you'll fat-finger notes on the shorter scale even though the difference in spacing between frets is only measured in thousandths. If you're a more deliberate player, it's less of a problem. Either way, getting used to either scale is easy enough if you spend some time at it. My collection is roughly half and half right now, and for the most part I couldn't tell you which necks are which without measuring them.

Cagey said:
raystankewitz said:
I would really like to try a conversion neck H-H Strat build.

I'll bet you'd like it a lot. It's like moving down a gauge set on your strings. If you're used to playing 10s on a 25.5" scale neck, the same set of strings will feel like 9s on the 24.75" neck. That makes bending and vibrato a lot easier.

On the other hand, if you rely heavily on muscle memory to find notes, it's surprising how often you'll fat-finger notes on the shorter scale even though the difference in spacing between frets is only measured in thousandths. If you're a more deliberate player, it's less of a problem. Either way, getting used to either scale is easy enough if you spend some time at it. My collection is roughly half and half right now, and for the most part I couldn't tell you which necks are which without measuring them.

I have Strats and LP-style guitars, an Ibby acoustic, a Gibby Barney Kessel, one old Matsumoku Orlando 335-type and a Dean Boca 12 in my arsenal. I tend to rotate them so I stay proficient with all scales, neck widths and body types. The switch between them feels awkward for just a few chords and riffs, then I feel at home with whichever axe I'm playing. The fingers just have to remember where to go on each scale. Even my two Squier SE Strats are different; one has 10-46 EB Slinkies on it, trem decked down and played as a hardtail, the other has D'Addario 10-48 Flatwounds (wound G) with a floating trem, 4 springs.

I also have several Mandolins, one acoustic bass and two electric basses that I play just to change things up and I'm still trying to put together an electric mandocello or octave mandolin. That and the ever elusive search for a tenor guitar, either A/E or solid body electric, possibly Blueridge A/E or Eastwood electric.

The thought for the Gibby-length scale conversion was to make an anti-SG. Use a Strat-shape hard tail mahogany body, two humbuckers and a superswitch arrangement of some sort.

. . . and you know the wife would be 'thrilled' by another guitar coming in the door, even if it's one part at a time . . .

:dontknow:

Wives. Can't live with 'em, and you can't shoot 'em  :laughing7:

I have standing orders with several of my friends to shoot me if trip into a third one.

Sounds like you know what you're in for. So, go for it. I expect lotsa pictures.

raystankewitz said:
The thought for the Gibby-length scale conversion was to make an anti-SG. Use a Strat-shape hard tail mahogany body, two humbuckers and a superswitch arrangement of some sort.
I've been tossing around the same idea. Maybe with a pair of Filtertrons or something similar.

Back