Meanwhile, at Warmoth...Carved Top Soloist is back in the Custom Builder

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
After much rehabilitation, the Carved Top Soloist Custom Builder has been released back into the wild:

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/BodyBuilder.aspx?style=8

It is available now for all your custom building needs....or just go play around on it. :)

I honestly was just thinking the other day about how I would love to build a Carved Top Soloist eventually. It's the right thing to do. Thank you!

Arrgh!  I note that the only choice is a double lam top, and so I presume that if one wants a solid color, one must call Warmoth to place the order?  Curiously, the image on the front page of the builder is of a carved-top in what appears to be alder.  I could see getting excited over a candy-red carve-top body with cream binding.

That said -

That's a handsome builder you guys built.  Thank you for continuing to work hard to separate dudes like me from cash.  It hurts so good.

I have one with a solid finish. It's a carved-top from several years ago covered in pearl white. Absolutely beautiful. Has a one-piece Ziricote neck to go with it. I bought it back when my mother died, and didn't have the presence of mind to have any holes/slots cut. Holes are easy. Slots? Not so much, and it terrifies me to cut into this thing. If I wreck the finish, there's no repairing it.  So, it's sitting in its case, just rotting... One of these days...

I'm glad to see them available again. It's a very nice design, and deserves to be propagated.

DarkPenguin said:
Blew up adding a unique top.

Yep.  Can't add your unique top.

I'm having the same issue. Also, can't choose UC for the flat top as well. It just goes back to the rout page.

Bagman67 said:
That's a handsome builder you guys built.  Thank you for continuing to work hard to separate dudes like me from cash.  It hurts so good.
You ain't lying at almost 500 bucks a pop before finish... :sad:

Arrghghghghg!

I just last week ordered one! I had to fill out the VIP form and finish the order with a note saying "this is actually a Soloist carved top!" That is what I was instructed to do to fulfill the order.

The carved top Soloists are great!  I almost wish I was in the market to build another Warmoth.  Hmmm, maybe if I sell off a couple of guitars...and a kidney...and a cornea..  :laughing7:

Cagey said:
I have one with a solid finish. It's a carved-top from several years ago covered in pearl white. Absolutely beautiful. Has a one-piece Ziricote neck to go with it. I bought it back when my mother died, and didn't have the presence of mind to have any holes/slots cut. Holes are easy. Slots? Not so much, and it terrifies me to cut into this thing. If I wreck the finish, there's no repairing it.  So, it's sitting in its case, just rotting... One of these days...

I'm glad to see them available again. It's a very nice design, and deserves to be propagated.

Any thoughts about using a 3-way toggle instead of a 3 or 5 way switch?

I would if I could, but it's routed for three pickups so I can't get a toggle to work. I have considered using a rotary switch, but they've never struck me as very practical.

Cagey said:
I would if I could, but it's routed for three pickups so I can't get a toggle to work. I have considered using a rotary switch, but they've never struck me as very practical.

Got it.  You're a smart guy.  I knew there must have been a reason you hadn't put in a toggle.

Cagey said:

6 position Free-Way switch could be exactly what you need.  I've got one sitting in my drawer waiting for a worthy use.  Expensive, but very solid switch.  There is also a cheaper/older model but with fewer wiring options.

DarkPenguin said:
Blew up adding a unique top.

Yep.  Can't add your unique top.

Yep, we found that issue yesterday. We'll get it resolved ASAP.

EDIT: Got this issue fixed now, on both the Carved Top and Flat Top. Thanks for the heads-up guys!

Couple things, FYI:

All carved tops are now DL tops. This means they require binding.

Also, by way of information, here is the current situation with the visual-style builders: They are overwhelming to maintain. We know they are super cool, but we have created a monster that always wants to be fed. The builders in their current state are unsustainable.

Here's what our plans for the future are: we are working on a completely new website, rebuilt from the ground up. In the first iteration of this new site the visual builders will be going away. We are fully prepared for weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth, but it has to happen.

We want to urge everyone to prepare now for these changes. A 3 month supply of food and water is recommended. In situations such as these precious metals, in the form of bullion, will be the only real money. Honey, cigarettes, and ammo can also serve as currency. A 72-hour survival kit, stored in a backpack, will allow you maximum mobility. Other helpful items: rain barrels, water purification tablets, penicillin, pencil and paper, first-aid kit, flint and steel, toilet paper. Begin keeping a diary, so that our children may remember the past. Oh...and batteries. Lots of batteries.

These changes are still a long ways away...many, many months. A simpler and easier to maintain version of the visual builder will be priority #1 after the new site is launched.

Our current site, including the current mobile site, will continue on as they are well into 2016. At some point in 2016 we will transition to an entirely new website that will be optimized for mobile.

At least that's the plan.

I wonder if I instigated this in any way? Soloist carved top is all I talk about on this forum, and I've been on Justin's (salesperson) case about them for weeks now.

unstrung said:
I wonder if I instigated this in any way? Soloist carved top is all I talk about on this forum, and I've been on Justin's (salesperson) case about them for weeks now.

Yes, unstrung...it was you.

You now have exactly 24 hours to put your money where your mouth is, or the Carved Top Soloist builder will be removed FOREVER!!!!!  :headbang: :party07: :guitarplayer2: :headbang1:

Back