Maple bodies

Could be you're just used to it. Back when I played several hours a day, I could forgive all sorts of things that I'd never tolerate today.

I'm not sure that the comfort of a Jazzmaster comes from weight so much as balance. The weight seems to be distributed in such a way that it doesn't press on your shoulder as much as a Gibson does.

I thought on this for a day and decided to weigh them. Hard to weigh completed guitars so I just went with my old fishing scales — not perfectly precise, but close enough. Two of my Jazzmasters come in at a fraction over five and a half pounds (that's the full guitar, hardware and all) and one is a fraction under six pounds; conversely the lightest of my equally-solid Telecasters is a shade under six pounds and the rest of my Teles and Strats are all north of that. (Not including hollow guitars.) For reference one of the lighter two Jazzes is alder and the other is ash, and the heavier one is ash; all the Teles and Strats are alder.

So I continue to differ. Again, it may just be sheer coincidence that I have particularly light Jazzes and heavier Teles/Strats/LPs/others, but I can say that at least among my collection, the Jazzes actually are lighter, period.

I LOVE maple bodies.  The weight is manageable since they sound KILLER.  The Kerang factor is off the charts.  They're durable as heck.

Here's my maple tele deluxe:
7dt5sNo.jpg

The black tele custom in the middle is maple:
aF23fd5.jpg

Maple Mustang:
SGEDvTG.jpg

Maple Jazzmaster:
wLxyJDM.jpg

guitarslinger21 said:
I LOVE maple bodies.  The weight is manageable since they sound KILLER.  The Kerang factor is off the charts.  They're durable as heck.

The black tele custom in the middle is maple:
aF23fd5.jpg

Maple Jazzmaster:
wLxyJDM.jpg

All those top-routed Jazzmasters with Bigsbies....Why am I just seeing these now?  Why is that not a thing yet?    :hello2:

Zebra said:
All those top-routed Jazzmasters with Bigsbies....Why am I just seeing these now?  Why is that not a thing yet?    :hello2:

Good question. They sound great and they’re easy to work on. Sleek look without pickguard.

That wood probably came from New York State, the largest producer of hardwoods in  the Northeast.
:bananaguitar:

https://www.census.gov/industry/1/ma321t06.pdf

The quilt on maple 72 thinline sounds great and is only a half pound heavier than a quilted on swamp ash.....the blue quilt Tele that is also rear routed.
Bobqo3V.jpg

WZ5SMo2.jpg

utbWkcM.jpg

6NZ0vts.jpg

Back