Making Strat bridge pickup sound like a Tele...

Spud said:
stratamania said:
rick2 said:
Actually, I'm intreguied by the red devil, but I haven't gotten to play one yet.

I have a Red devil neck...which reminds me I have a project to finish and then I can try it.

Single coil sized humbuckers can sound great and very convincing with a bit of overdrive, but fall well short compared to their full sized counterparts when playing clean.

Given that I actually have one and have found it to work very well clean or with gain individually or paired with a full size Pearly Gates I don't agree. They sound very good. YMMV.

Harmonic Design Pickups makes a strat bridge called the STP which is supposed to be tele like. I have one but have not yet had a chance to install it.
There is also this vid on a particular David Allen set

For the D. Allen pickups, I'm curious if there is anything on the product that mentions the country of manufacture. I remember there was a controversy about that 5 years ago, where that was called into question. It may not be terribly important if you like the sound, but personally I'd like to know before buying their product again.

To be honest, it would need the pickup mounted to a steel Tele bridge and string through body to get any closer. I had it with a Strat neck and middle pickup for a while.

This will infuriate those here who like to argue about EVERYTHING they're deaf to or which they are NOT sensitive enough to hear the difference. {Or maybe they just need to leave their FULL METAL MONDO FUZZ off once in a while...} But eliminating the middle pickup reduced the string pull from the magnetic polepieces and the guitar sustains more like a Tele now.

Not saying it didn't sound good with three pickups. It did. But I get closer to the sound i was looking for with two pickups. Fralin "True Vintage" Strat pickup. Just under 5.9K...although DCR is not a measurement of output.

Back