LPS body walnut/padouk

willyk

This arrived yesterday. I wasn't expecting it for another month as I only ordered it mid July  :eek: :laughing7:
The original plan was for a carved top but that got changed along the way. I ordered the neck a few days later so that might even turn up soon too  :blob7:
It's getting a vintage trem (hence -  flat top) and a SD pearly gates neck pickup with a SD stag-mag at the bridge. The body has front and rear comfort contours and a contoured heel. It has a maple pinstripe between the walnut and the padouk top. The neck will be padouk with a 12" radius ebony board and a Vee headstock.
2742922406_9c666cb1c8.jpg
2742926004_d7dae08fc2.jpg
2742087837_f6600b8923.jpg
2742921218_1287d83476.jpg

bpmorton777 said:
nice! Special order for a client?

Brian

Exactly right...he's on his way to my place as we speak. He's a young bloke who's been saving for over a year for this baby, so I hope it turns out OK for him.

Nice one!! Somehow inspired on Brian May's Red Special? (V headstock and all)

But you have to explain us your contacts inside Warmoth, you jumped in the queue to the first place!!! :icon_jokercolor:  :toothy12:

NonsenseTele said:
Nice one!! Somehow inspired on Brian May's Red Special? (V headstock and all)

But you have to explain us your contacts inside Warmoth, you jumped in the queue to the first place!!! :icon_jokercolor:  :toothy12:

I can't explain Nonsense. I got the usual 4-6 week estimate and sat back to wait. 3 weeks later here it is in Australia. I must have caught them at a quiet time, I don't know.

I hadn't thought of the Brian May thing but, now that you mention it.. :icon_scratch:

I just added some pics to the original post. I'm starting the danish oil coats now. Will post pics in  "work in progress" when it starts getting interesting.

Waddayareckon about the pickguard? I'm not sure  :dontknow: The guy I'm building it for likes it so it's going on anyway. It's also going to have 2 mini toggles for coil splitting.

Right now, the pickguard doesn't work for me. Maybe later when you have a few more coats on, I don't know. A black pearl guard might look better?

Nice body Willy, and I'm sure in your hands the kid will get more than he imagined. The pickguard is really not working at all - could you maybe get it all playing and set up, and make him keep it a week before you drill the PG holes? I know that's a cranky old codger move but you gotta show yer wood if you got it.

tfarny said:
Nice body Willy, and I'm sure in your hands the kid will get more than he imagined. The pickguard is really not working at all - could you maybe get it all playing and set up, and make him keep it a week before you drill the PG holes? I know that's a cranky old codger move but you gotta show yer wood if you got it.

That's the move I had in mind  :evil4: :evil4:.........must be a cranky old codger  :cool01: :cool01: :cool01:

over to Red Rat in  WIP

I think if you finish the entire guitar w/o installing the pickguard and show him, he'll come to his senses. If not you can just slap it on last.

Actually, the pickguard doesn't bother me... It's that goofy looking ttoggle swich cover thing that does..

You have made some great guitars. If I was close I would order one from you, I'd like to try a guitar with a body that's not gloss poly.

I agree about the pickguard, why hide the wood? Why make holes for mini toggles also? Warmoth sells push-push potentiometers, better than push-pull & toggles.

Kostas said:
Why make holes for mini toggles also? Warmoth sells push-push potentiometers, better than push-pull & toggles.

not if you wanna have the option of chosing the coil (north coil, south coil, or both in series)...

Thanks for the input guys. There are indeed lots of options, which I've discussed with my young buddy. The ability to change/omit plates, guards and switches is something you don't get with off the shelf guitars. At the end of the day it will end up just how he wants it, which is how it should be. Of course  I can build it how I want it first, adding the additional bits at the end as Jack said. :icon_thumright:

willyk said:
...At the end of the day it will end up just how he wants it, which is how it should be. Of course  I can build it how I want it first, adding the additional bits at the end as Jack said. :icon_thumright:

Point! With respect to your previous work......I'm confident it will be the best it can be  :icon_biggrin:

Back