LP style toggle cavity and free-way ultra switch

apicici

Hello everyone!

I'm planning my first build, and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on sizes.
Does anyone know if the free-way ultra switch fits into the toggle cavity of a carved top tele body with LP-style controls?

Thanks!

UPDATE: in case someone has the same question: it fits without problem.

It will fit a Les Paul switch cavity without routing so there is a reasonable chance that it would. Perhaps ask Warmoth sales if they can let you know the dimensions of the toggle cavity.

Thanks! I was planning on contacting sales about it, but I'm not sure they can let me know since I had previously asked them about the depth of the cavities and they couldn't tell me the exact measurements.

I installed a freeway into a warmouth strat and found that I needed to widen the switch slot by a little less than a 16th of an inch on the the circuit board side.

It was all of about a half hour's work with a chisel and carving knife.

Sadie-f said:
I installed a freeway into a warmouth strat and found that I needed to widen the switch slot by a little less than a 16th of an inch on the the circuit board side.

It was all of about a half hour's work with a chisel and carving knife.

That of course is for a blade switch. The OP is asking about a toggle switch that goes in a Les Paul type cavity on a carved top tele. Though even if it does not fit directly it probably with a similar adjustment can be made to fit.

rick2 said:
Or some gentle sanding.

Probably any adjustment if any at all was needed for this would be most likely sanding as you say rather than requiring a chisel.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I heard back from Warmoth sales, and while they couldn't provide the exact dimensions, they expect it will fit since it's designed to retrofit Les Paul cavities.

Once I get my order I'll report back on how well the switch fits, in case other people have the same question.

stratamania said:
That of course is for a blade switch. The OP is asking about a toggle switch that goes in a Les Paul type cavity on a carved top

Gah, thanks! my electronics background equated blade & toggle.

Sadie-f said:
stratamania said:
That of course is for a blade switch. The OP is asking about a toggle switch that goes in a Les Paul type cavity on a carved top

Gah, thanks! my electronics background equated blade & toggle.

Easy to do when various subjects use their own terms for things sometimes with similar or different meanings.

Wow, six different settings in one switch! What kind of setups would you use that for? 28 connections sounds like a lot for only six settings!

SeaGroomer said:
Wow, six different settings in one switch! What kind of setups would you use that for? 28 connections sounds like a lot for only six settings!

Take a look...

https://www.freewayswitch.com/schematics-toggle/

was also used by Jimmy Page on a three pick up LP Custom at the O2 - Health Warning the following video has a groove so deep you could risk falling into it.  :glasses9:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuXUhOQzprA[/youtube]

SeaGroomer said:

I'm planning to use it with two humbuckers to add series, series out of phase, and parallel out of phase to the three standard configurations. There's also a smaller version of the switch with "only" 14 connections, but no matter what I tried I couldn't figure out a way to obtain the 3 new configurations I wanted with that one.

Of course I could have just used two push-pull switches to get the new configurations, but I liked the idea of controlling everything with the toggle.

My guitar finally arrived, and I can confirm that the switch fits without any problems in the toggle cavity!

apicici said:
My guitar finally arrived, and I can confirm that the switch fits without any problems in the toggle cavity!

Good to hear that this is the case and confirmation.  :icon_thumright:

Post some pics of your build when you get a chance.

Back