LP set neck vs bolt on. A VERY SIMPLE QUESTION!!!!!

peter.k

Now, I know you are all expecting the same old blah blah set vs bolt  neck question/answer, but I would like to ask a simple question requiring no answers in respect to tone comparisons, personal preferences, or opinions. I just won't listen :laughing7:.................My question is this:

Does the Warmoth LP neck/body join have at least the same or better access to the higher frets than a Gibson LP? A simple question requiring a yes or no answer.

The reason I ask is I love the baseball neck on the Gibson Custom shop 56/57 reissues, but not the price tag.......

My primary guitar consideration is the neck, what is attached to it is secondary. I am keen on doing a LP type guitar with the fat neck I want.

Thanks, Pete

Hi Pete, I don't reply often to many posts, but this question was made for me. LOL.
My main guitars are Gibson '57 and '58 Historic Reissues. I not only love big neck guitars, but need them, as my hand tends to cramp up on small/thinner necks. Big necks allow me to play all night with no hand fatigue at all.

For stage use, I built a Warmoth Les Paul with a Fatback neck to mimick my R8. Didn't want the R8 to get destroyed at gigs, but had to have a LP with a big neck.
The warmoth neck access is as good as, and maybe a little better than a Gibson. Mainly due to the neck joint being carved in the back a little. I think they call it a contoured heel. Very comfortable and stable as well.

You will have no worries with the access on a Warmoth LP. :)

Thanks for the answers! Kkorina, one day I will treat myself to a R6 or R7........

There sure are some beautiful LP bodies in the Showcase.

Pete

I have full thickness heels on my floyd rose backlaminated les pauls. Still better access than Shitson. Wanna have great access? Get a neckthru les paul with a carved heel. Like my 3 crimsons. These 5 (2 floyd warmoth and 3 crimsons) are my finest guitars.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Street Avenger said:
DMRACO said:
Regular Warmoth Heel: SAME ACCESS
Countoured Heel: BETTER ACCESS.

Peace.

Don't all Warmoth LPs have the contoured heel?

It's standard, but I think one can request the normal, non contoured heel.

Wow.  That must be a change since my last build of a LP (a few years ago).  I remember a countoured heel being an option.  Nice to see it standard.

A ski condo in Aspen should come standard with purchase of a carved top.

Gibson have an "Axcess" series of Les Pauls. As the name implies, those have better upper fret access than the standard ones, and it is also better than Warmoth's regular or contoured heels. Compared to the standard Les Pauls, though, Warmoth standard fret access is roughly similar and the contoured heel is slightly better. I wouldn't call any of them "good", though.

There is no LP set neck vs Bolt on issue, both work well, there is no advantage except in ease of building, studies have shown no advantage in sustain. So it is a matter of preference not performance. The difference is about appearance primarily. Gibson's way of doing set neck has the downside of broken headstocks which other manufacters have put in a flute for support in that area. The bold neck has the advantage in neck replacement, but hopefully that is not an issue for most. So either will work as well and the differences are in ease of repair and mfg, tonally there is no difference.

bluespoet said:
There is no LP set neck vs Bolt on issue, both work well, there is no advantage except in ease of building, studies have shown no advantage in sustain. So it is a matter of preference not performance. The difference is about appearance primarily. Gibson's way of doing set neck has the downside of broken headstocks which other manufacters have put in a flute for support in that area. The bold neck has the advantage in neck replacement, but hopefully that is not an issue for most. So either will work as well and the differences are in ease of repair and mfg, tonally there is no difference.

That was not the question, though.

Back