LP Body - no holes for grounding(How to remove studs)

Notyethendrix

Hello everyone.  Recently I got a great LP style body, amazing top!  But when I'm on the wiring part, I noticed that there is no holes between the bridge and the electronic compartment.

I don't know if this is normal, usually all LP got a tiny hole inside which let you ground the wires to the bridge right?  Or is there a different wiring choice?

I'm installing a Duncan Jazz and JB

Thank you guys/gals

Is it a stoptail tunomatic bridge? if so I hope you haven't yet installed the studs because that's where you will find the hole for the groundwire.  :sad:

willyk said:
Is it a stoptail tunomatic bridge? if so I hope you haven't yet installed the studs because that's where you will find the hole for the groundwire.  :sad:

:doh:

Let me try to take it out....  thank you

You might consider active pickups like EMGs. They don't require a string ground.

I know actives aren't everybody's cup of meat, but if you were thinking of trying them, now you have an excuse.

Another option would be to run the ground wire externally from the TOM bridge to the bridge pickup cavity and then finally to the control cavity. Cut a notch into the bottom of the pickup ring to run the wire through. It could be done discreetly, and anyone who notices will think you have some trick saddle pickup installed.

I seem to recall a post a little while ago where someone substituted a bolt with the same thread as the bridge post and pulled on that so as not to damage anything important. I don't think the problem is insurmountable, just bloody frustrating. If you aren't confident doing this I would consult a guitar tech before going the active pickup/external ground way. I will try and find that post for you, unless someone already has the answer :icon_thumright:

willyk said:
I seem to recall a post a little while ago where someone substituted a bolt with the same thread as the bridge post and pulled on that so as not to damage anything important. I don't think the problem is insurmountable, just bloody frustrating. If you aren't confident doing this I would consult a guitar tech before going the active pickup/external ground way. I will try and find that post for you, unless someone already has the answer :icon_thumright:

Thanks mate, I really need some input

I don't really like active pickups on guitars, except the SA on my strat, and I have thought about extending the ground wire outside the body, but that will be my last bet.

Currently I'm thinking of cooling the stud with ice, drilling a new hole, grounding it to my fridge...... I'm just frustrated  :sad:

Icing it isn't going to help, you will wind up trashing the body trying to pull the stud; if you look in the control cavity, is there a small hole roughly on a line with the control cavity side stud for the stop tailpiece?

If so, here is your best bet, may be frustrating, but since you were impatient then, you have to be patient NOW. Assemble the rest of the guitar to include all electronics and soldering. Find the LARGEST gauge BRAIDED core wire you can fit through the hole route to the stud, maybe 18 gauge? Strip the stud end back 1/2"/12mm and unbraid/unfray it; twist back together just enough that you can thread it through the hole. Push through routed hole hole with a bit of force until it is obvious that the stripped end is making contact with stud at end of hole. Use some electrical tape and tape the end of the wiring as tightly as possible and tap solder the other end of the grounding wire to grounding point on back of volume pot or other grounding point as desired. Plug into amp and check that you don't get any hum that goes away when you touch strings or bridge with fingers. If no hum is observed, you can shhot some epoxy into routing hole to anchor grounding wire.

You may have to play with this a bit, but may work OK

I'm gonna say this... and do it at your own risk.  I've done it.  I learned it from guys who do it on the Les Paul forum to EXPENSIVE reissue R9 and R8 and such Les Pauls.

What they do is get a bolt that fits the threads.  USA is 5/16x24  metric... bring a stud to the hardware store and match that thread.

Then (sit down) take a CLAW HAMMER and a bit of thick news paper.  Fold the news paper and use it as a shim between the hammer and the face of the guitar.  Put the bolt in the bushing, grab it with the hammer, and yank it like a damn wisdom tooth.  This works.  Its unconventional as hell.  You need THICK newspaper (like about an inch of it almost.  That gets the hammer at the proper angle for good leverage, and pads the wood and finish to avoid problems.  I'd not do that on a hollow body.....  StewMac sells a bushing puller, btw.

I pulled 2 Floyd Rose bushings with a claw hammer and throwaway bolts, but used a piece of 1 x 2 as a leverage bar. All the caveats about padding the finish and such still hold, but I think a piece of wood gives more support for the hammer.

jackthehack said:
Push through routed hole hole with a bit of force until it is obvious that the stripped end is making contact with stud at end of hole.

You can use a multimeter to check and see if you have contact between the ground wire and the stud.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Electronics/Knob_and_Bushing_Puller.html

I know it's $40, but it's the oly safe way!

To all you good good people, thanks for your thoughts and ideas!!!!  I've done it!!!!  :hello2:  :headbang: :icon_thumright:

I gathered all your tips, and here's what I did.  I hope this can help anyone that encounters my problem:

1.  Place one 'unwanted' bolt that fits the stud.  I have been changing my friend's Epiphone 335 bridge, so I use that and screw it down half way. Notice the chrome hardware.
m129203093.jpg

2. Clamp the screw like this.
m129203103.jpg

3. Find yourself a book.  In my case is a boring chinese novel.  This is better than newspaper because you can adjust the thickness and doesn't have to fold it.  Slip it under the clamp. Tighter equal better.
m129203113.jpg

4. Slowly push the clamp with a steady force. Much easier than I thought!
m129203064.jpg

Now I can ground my guitar like it should be done.  Again, thank you, all of you rockers for some great tips!!!  :rock-on:

I think we have all learned something :icon_biggrin:

BTW  Nice top on that guitar :icon_thumright:

like tips on how to use a boring book?  :icon_biggrin:

This is my second Les Paul, first one is an Epiphone. I've been playing a Warmoth replacement strat neck for 5 years, and this is my first 'whole Warmoth' guitar.

Their stuff is just fantastic! I'll place some more pictures when it's done. 

congrats!
so there is a use for books, i'm not much of a reader. and another use for vise grips, man what can't they do?

Funky Phil said:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Electronics/Knob_and_Bushing_Puller.html

I know it's $40, but it's the oly safe way!

come on now $40 for a deep socket, 4in of all thread and a wing nut?
by my math that's less than $10 and that's if you need to buy the socket. or maybe use a pipe niple and a washer.

Back