Loving my EMG 57/66 set.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Master Member
I did something I said I'd never do, go active.
I used to install the EMG-81 and the old Seymour Duncan Livewires for customers a lot, the SD's mostly in basses.
I tested them by just plugging into my rig, and not messing with anything.

Well, I always thought of the EMG-81 as too hot & too bright.

I started trying out guitars over the past year or so with EMG's of various models OEM'd in them at GuiTarget & have had to reassess my position on them.  Eventually, a customer "paid" me an EMG-89, so I installed it where a Dimarzio Evolution resided, and purchased an "S" to occupy the single coil slot that my Dimarzio Chopper once lived.  I adjusted my gain structure by backing off of the drive, and found that I actually had more headroom than with the passives.  The only thing I've never liked about this combo is that I could never get the "S" up to the same volume as the 89. 

Of all of the EMG lineup, the 57/66 combo is the "Goldilocks" of all of them, with the Het set nearly tied for the winner's circle.
This got my gears turning, and I did something else that I swore I'd never do.  I took a router to my beloved TFS6 and opened up the Single Coil Neck position that has been there for 21 years, and transformed it to a humbucker hole.  My Stewmac Template worked wonderfully for this as it has for loads of other projects on other guitars.  I laid in all the solderless quik connect harness, and literally had the pickups and all of its controls installed and was on to re-stringing up in about 8 minutes.

A quick plug in, and a height adjustment had me balancing the outputs of both pickups to a seamless level when soloing and switching pickups as I climb up into the dusty area of the neck.

I went to my clean, and then tweed presets, and backed off of the drive ever so much, and before you know it, "Bob's your uncle".

I finally have the output and chime in a neck pickup again, and so much more headroom.  My recordings are going to really benefit from this  switch, and now I can't wait to throw a 7 string set into my Ibanez RG7620, but I may wait until I replace the body with a Perle FR body & do the mod all at once.

Nothing but love for this set.

I think too many people write off active pickups without ever properly trying them; they hear the 81 or 85 through a high-gain amp once or twice, decide that's what all actives always sound like, and write them all off.

The 57 & 66 have definitely gotten more people giving actives a shot, though the 60A has been doing more-or-less the same sound as them for years. Wish that one would get more attention, instead of the regular 60.

Then there are all the single coils and the new minibuckers which sound completely, completely different, yet for some reason people still expect them all to sound like overwound ceramic humbuckers.

Personally, since discovering the 60A, I've found it really hard to not make all my guitars active. It's definitely my #1 go-to humbucker for all guitars and all styles; a 60AX/SAVX/SAX with the SPC midboost (or better yet the VMC, which is marketed for bass but works for guitar just fine) covers everything you can possibly name. The 57 is also becoming a standard for me for two-humbucker guitars. (I prefer two 57s than the 57 and 66, but that's just me.) I now only build guitars with passive pickups if I have a specific look in mind which EMG does not cater for.

Enjoy 'em, and show people what those originally-invented-for-jazz-and-country babies can do.

I hear ya Ace.

I'm toying with loading my Bari-Tele below with the Ceramic Set.
I've always loved their Single Coils.  I mean, Dave Gilmour Set, enough said.  But paired with a humbucker, it's difficult to match output levels.

I know some folks may frown at the idea of putting EMG's into a Tele, but if ya wanna reference a Nashville Purist example, look no further than Waylong Jennings having them in his main Tele in The Highwaymen DVD.

The 60 and 60A match their single coils in output. The typical 81/S/S set sure is unbalanced, but the 60s make it work.

EMGs in Teles are about to become a lot more popular now that they've improved the battery life on the Tele X pickups, and they have the new minibucker models which were all tested for Teles primarily.

Ace Flibble said:
The 60 and 60A match their single coils in output. The typical 81/S/S set sure is unbalanced, but the 60s make it work.

EMGs in Teles are about to become a lot more popular now that they've improved the battery life on the Tele X pickups, and they have the new minibucker models which were all tested for Teles primarily.

Just pulled the trigger on Ceramic Tele's for the Bari-Tele.  These are the older, soldered versions, found a good deal on Reverb.

Gonna cover them with some chrome bobbin toppers from Universal Jems to help them blend into the guitar's appearance more suitably.  The black wouldn't look so good on the buckskin/chrome motif.

I too am a fan of EMG's in certain applications.

I was looking at their humbuckers and noticed the various colored covers including the brushed black.

Too bad the single coils do not also feature an assortment of different covers like the brushed black covers.

So...in my S-S-H configuration, naturally I defaulted to SR-71 black  :confused4:

For me, it doesn't matter what it sounds like.  Actives will never be an option any more for me because I've got too many guitars to keep up with having batteries in them.  This includes basses and acoustics.  I discovered last year that I had forgotten and left a battery in my old Charvel acoustic.  It was a name-brand Duracell "copper top" 9v, but that didn't prevent it from corroding.  And I wish I could say that was the only time that had ever happened.

I've been saying that since the first time I ever saw batteries in a guitar, which I think was in the mid-70s. Some kind of teardrop-shaped Vox(?) thing that didn't have active pickups, but did have some onboard special effects (fuzz/boost/whatever). Buddy of mine got it super cheap from a pawnshop, then found out it didn't work, then found out why - batteries had morphed into some sort of unrecognizable creeping crud, which of course didn't do anything inside the guitar any good. Back then, batteries turned fugly in pretty short order. At least today, you generally get a couple years.

Anyway, I thought then that batteries in a guitar was a way stupid idea. Fast forward to today, and within the last two years I've put together two guitars that have batteries in them. Actually three, counting the acoustic. I just finally decided that the risk/reward ratio is high enough now to be acceptable. Batteries don't rot like they used to, or anywhere near as fast, and some stuff is just too cool to live without.

Love the 85x/SVX/58x that I have in my Warmoth Tele. Going to put a 60AX--along with a SPX control--in my single humbucker LP clone that I use for slide.

EMG Tele Set now lives in the Bari Tele, an I couldn't be happier.  I stuck some bobbin toppers from Universal Jems on them just to keep the cork sniffers at bay, and to add some more chrome bling to it.

The output is slightly less than my 57/66 combo, but I have a boost pedal that brings it back up.  Our drummer has a real good ear for that and was able to notice the level difference right away in his "in-ears".

The buckskin leather is weathering nicely, Tony.  That axe continues to be one of my favorite builds on this forum.  It so clearly exemplifies your unique artistic persona.  It's great to see that it's getting played enough to start looking "lived-in".

Bagman67 said:
The buckskin leather is weathering nicely, Tony.  That axe continues to be one of my favorite builds on this forum.  It so clearly exemplifies your unique artistic persona.  It's great to see that it's getting played enough to start looking "lived-in".

Thanks Baggy, it is a pure joy to play, and I can't help but reiterate that I think that the true voicing of baritone isn't necessarily high gain crunch (although I live there often) but in the single coil tweed voicing.  It just seems to be its sweet spot.f

While I do use this guitar for a couple of rhythm tracks for our WÖR Party recording, the real heart of this guitar beckons blues, funk, & chicken pickin licks. 
Even when I do use this for band recordings, I think it shines better on those even more since I've went to the EMG sc's. They sit in the mix nicely, lots of clarity.

EMG apparently has made a battery-less signature pickup set for Marty Friedman.  He talks about it here...

*CONTAINS SOME NAUGHTY LANGUAGE*

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsWXavdfRBs&feature=youtu.be&t=517[/youtube]

amon said:
EMG apparently has made a battery-less signature pickup set for Marty Friedman.  He talks about it here...

*CONTAINS SOME NAUGHTY LANGUAGE*

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsWXavdfRBs&feature=youtu.be&t=517[/youtube]

These are passive, not active, hence, no battery needed.

Back