Looking for Jangly pickups

mayfly

Epic Member
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for Jangly pickup recommendations.  I'm looking for the tone like what you'd get out of Rickenbacker pickups - but with a standard string spacing.

I can't use Rick pickups (which is too bad because I own a couple of Rick toaster tops), because rick pole pieces are too narrow for the string spacing that I'd like to use.

What are your jangle experiences?

Death by Uberschall said:
Gretsch Filtertron? TV Jones? Tele style humbuckers? LipStick pups? Under wound vintage style pups?
+1 on the TV Jones.... :icon_thumright:

DangerousR6 said:
Death by Uberschall said:
Gretsch Filtertron? TV Jones? Tele style humbuckers? LipStick pups? Under wound vintage style pups?
+1 on the TV Jones.... :icon_thumright:
+2.  Filtertrons are nice, but lots of Gretsch players swap em for TV Jones.  It makes the Filtertron pulls easy enough to score cheap on eBay. 

I know it doesn't help much but I kind of dig a Rick 12 String for "jangle".

I think you get a great 'jangle' just from a regular strat and a good Vox. I just strung one of my guitars with nashville tuning for the first time, it really gets very close to a 12-string feel.

tfarny said:
I think you get a great 'jangle' just from a regular strat and a good Vox. I just strung one of my guitars with nashville tuning for the first time, it really gets very close to a 12-string feel.

+1 on a strat with a Vox
or this janglebox seems convincing
http://www.janglebox.com/

Thanks for the input everyone!

I'm leaning towards TV Jones at the moment...

Rouse said:
tfarny said:

+1 on a strat with a Vox
or this janglebox seems convincing
http://www.janglebox.com/

Hmm, what's so jangly about it?  It's a compressor... does it have a treble boost too?

The TV Jones website can be a bit clunky, but look around for the Filtertrons that have the low DC resistance on them for max jangliness.  There is a page that lists off the data on the pickups.  Always takes me about 10 minutes to find.  The side benefit of TV Jones pickups is that they have that look.  Good luck.
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
The TV Jones website can be a bit clunky, but look around for the Filtertrons that have the low DC resistance on them for max jangliness.  There is a page that lists off the data on the pickups.  Always takes me about 10 minutes to find.  The side benefit of TV Jones pickups is that they have that look.  Good luck.
Patrick

Found it and the sound clips.  Nice sounding pickups.

Currently tossed up between the Classic and the TV-HTs.  The Classics seem a little brighter - but it's tough to tell.  Defenetly the direction I want to go mind you...

I wanted jangly fpr my les paul and I went for GFS Pickups' ProTube humbuckers. I had the coil tap put in and now it is truly a unique sounding LP. Jangle with a hint of alnico pro 2 when in the humbucker mode.

I have installed TV Jones Classics (both neck and bridge) with English mount and they sound exactly as what Tom Jones promises.  The only thing I have hesitations is that they are too costly as compared to other brands of pickups plus all mounting accessories have to be purchased as well..  A closest alternative I discovered is definitely Ken Armstrong's Filtertron Style humbucker which nails the Gretsch tone at 60% of TV Jone's price.

Check out :  http://www.wdmusic.com/filtertron_style_humbucker_pickup_nickel.html

mayfly said:
Patrick from Davis said:
Patrick

Found it and the sound clips.  Nice sounding pickups.

Currently tossed up between the Classic and the TV-HTs.  The Classics seem a little brighter - but it's tough to tell.  Defenetly the direction I want to go mind you...
The TV Jones are nice, nice and pricey. Check out the GFS "Hot Liverpool, and the Hot Nashville", pretty close to the Jones'.... :icon_thumright:

If you're just trying stuff out there are always the GFS Filtertrons.  You can try them out and if you don't like em your not out much dough.

Definitively TV Jones Powertrons.;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFMLZsRxhTQ

I'm assuming when you say "jangle", you are talking the Fender  Classic sparkle, or the Vox Chime of manty famous Beatles or Byrds  tunes or classic  west coast surf tones.
If you are looking for something "glassier" on the other hand ,  like later Clapton Start tones , like on "Cocaine" then definitly go Fender Strat or Tele with just plain old American Standard pickups, or like lipstick  Dan-o pickups  or even something like  the Dimarzio HS-2's   hum-cancelling  pickups- all of which have tons of quack and a brittle hyper-eq'd  treble responce..

Back