looking for an allan key

Yvon

Hi everyone,
my first post here. I just built my first warmoth, I will post pictures soon.
I'm looking for an allan key to adjust the neck.
I know that it's a 7/32 size, but the one I have here is too long and I can't adjust the with it.
Where can I find a shorter 7/32 key that will fit a deluxe 5 string jazz?

I've been looking for 2 weeks...
If you can find a place that sell them online that would be appreciated.

Warmoth won't sell them, unfortunatly.

Thank you

if you are curious about the bass...
Here it is:

fret3.jpg

I think that's the wrong format. He needs a hex driver, not a hex nut. The one I use is the 7/32" key from the Stew Mac Ball End Hex-key set (part number 3316). It has 11 keys, one of which is 7/32". The short end fits perfectly, I haven't tried the ball end (didn't have to). I would actually expect that most hex keys sold individually at a local hardware store should also fit - I'm just out of luck there because in Europe they carry only metric sizes.

I would go to my local hardware store, not a big box (Menards, Home Depot) ask for a ball-end hex key. A T-handle is good, but you will do just fine with a four iinch, right angle bend key. The ball-end allows you to get at the adjuster without having to go straight in to make it turn.

What I have done in the past is to get a cheap allan key that's too long and hack sawed the end off of it.  Note that you have to use a cheap key for this - the real ones you'll take forever to hacksaw because of hardness of the materials.

Hack saw?

I wore the teeth off a band saw once on hardened tool steel.

but yes, you can cut a allen key to what ever length you want, however debur it before using it so it does not fight the fit.

Jusatele said:
Hack saw?

I wore the teeth off a band saw once on hardened tool steel.

but yes, you can cut a allen key to what ever length you want, however debur it before using it so it does not fight the fit.
A hack saw will work on the cheap chinese stuff, but yes for any quality allen wrench made of a good tool steel you need a cut off wheel.... :icon_biggrin:

Back