looking for a small, reasonably priced tube amp

Cagey said:
Tube rectifiers as applied in guitar amps are often current limiters, because the power supply generally isn't designed to deliver as much current as the amplifier section(s) may ask for. It costs too much money and makes possible a signal fidelity that isn't often required or even expected. As a result, if the amplifier asks for more current than is available, the voltage sags. This has an effect on the output which mainly manifests itself in the form of a frequency-dependent compression.

Huge fan of t00b rectifiers here; sag is groovy.  :icon_thumright:

No doubt. But, not too many people really play their amps up in the range where the tube rectifier is going to have an effect.

Cagey said:
No doubt. But, not too many people really play their amps up in the range where the tube rectifier is going to have an effect.
that is the secret to Small 5 or 10 amp boutique amps, crank them and you get the full effect of a large amp cranked, but a small volumnes.

All I know is that the amp sounds amazing - very different than the Blues Junior and other small Fenders, so I thought it might be the rectifier. I could easily be wrong. In any case, if you are looking at small tube amps, it's a killer.

- Josh

Gents,
I am very grateful for your input even if I don't reply to every post here. It will be put to good use! Just thought I should say as much :)

When I get some money back on my taxes I might be able to actually start getting ready to lay down some money on this. Should be this summer if nothing unexpected comes up :icon_thumright:

Well the tax money arrived today and I just placed my order for an AC15 at Thomann. Should be here next week, judging from what I've read about their shipping times. Exciting...

k-k-kboooman said:
Well the tax money arrived today and I just placed my order for an AC15 at Thomann. Should be here next week, judging from what I've read about their shipping times. Exciting...

ALWAYS a good day when new gear arrives!  :headbang:

k-k-kboooman said:
great amp. I love my Vox, it has such clear and bell like tones I cannot ever think of not owning a Vox
I also run a Blues Jr though for just messing around

Back