Looking for a machinest to help with Bigsby!

bbl4ck

Having some problems with a Bigsby mount.  I am doing a Warmoth V with a Bigsby vibrato.  Unfortunately, the body is just not quite long enough to accommodate the Bigsby.
Because of the short length at the V crotch, I am left with about 1/4 inch of body to attach the Bigsby.  I do not feel comfortable with this.  :toothy11: :sad1: :toothy11:

I have decided my only option for mounting the Bigsby is to use the Vibramate. 
Problem here is that I have a Bigsby B500, because it is the only model that is available in black [if you look at the pick, you will see why it must be black].
Unfortunately, the Vibramate is designed to work for the Bigsby B5 model, and nothing else.  :dontknow: 

O.K., I purchased a Vibramate anyway to see how far off it was for the B500.  It is not really that far off.  The B500 is a little longer and thinner and the mounting holes are in slightly different locations. 
I have communicated with the folks at Vibramate, and they were not willing to do a custom made model to meet my needs.  However, they suggested that I try to build my own or modify theirs to work for the B500.  :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12:

Here is where I need help!!!  Does anyone know of any machinist that might be willing and qualified to do such a custom project.  I have the original Vibramate that I can provide for an example. 
I have an actual cut-out of how I need the unit to be built to work for the B500.  The material is 1/4 inch aluminum.

Any help you may offer would make myself and Vanentina very happy!!!  :hello2: :blob7: :hello2:

DSCN0642.jpg

So lay it out for me Bart, so I can see what the problem is and exactly what modification it needs. i mean the one in the pic looks like it fits.... :dontknow:

i think it looks great, even hanging over the edge as it is. it just screams one of a kind custom guitar, but looks done on purpose and very classy.

hope you get it sorted out!

It should work fine, since the strings are going to be pulling up, and the weakest direction will be down...

Hey Doug,
Thanks for your reply!  :headbang:
As you can see, the holes for the bridge studs have not been drilled.  Apparently the Bigsby needs to be placed even further back than in this picture which leaves only ~1/4 in of wood to drill into for mounting. 
I took the V to my local guitar man to have the studs installed.  He used the same formula Warmoth recommends to locate placement for the bridge; measure from the nut to the 12th fret and double the length.
This measurement places the bridge sitting directly next to and even touching the Bigsby.  Even with shims under the bridge, the strings just barely touch the rollers of the bridge. 
Moving the Bigsby back allows the strings to really lay across the bridge correctly.  Again, we tried placing shims under the bridge and even tried two different bridges.

I purchased the Vibrimate knowing it was not made for the B500, but just to see how far off it was.  Two of the mounting screws actually fit and the other two are very close.  The shape of the B500 is a little different; thinner, pointed, and longer.  I think anyone with machinist equipment could easily reproduce a Vibramate type bracket that would work.  I would have it powder coated black and badda boom badda bing, the Bigsby mounts.

This is of course just one option.  I would welcome any other ideas or thoughts you might have! :sign13: :sign13: :sign13:   
Thanks for your time and have a smooth day  :eek:ccasion14:

Back