Question for Bigsby knowledgeable/weirdos ?

S

Spud

Enjoying the dip my toe in the water "Chigsby" looking now to get an actual Bigsby. The Chigsby works jut fine, but it is a combo of Zinc alloy and steel and weighs about a pound. My question is how the B5 Bigsby import "designed" compares to the way more Bigsby B5?

IIRC, ...
  • Kalamazoo series (Bx - B3, B5, B6, B7, B12, etc)
    • Made in USA by Bigsby (Fender bought from Gretsch family in 2019)
    • Sand-cast aluminum, less consistent finish
    • Stock 1" spring
    • Needle bearings on trem roller
    • Needle bearings on the tension roller on B5, B7, B12
    • Softer/looser to bend
  • Lightning Series I (Bx0 - B30, B50, B60, B70, etc.)
    • Imported
    • Die-cast aluminum; ever so slightly heavier; more consistent, smoother, polished look
    • Stock 7/8" spring
    • Needle bearings on trem roller on
    • Nylon bushings on the tension roller on B50, B70
  • Lightning Series II (B500, B700)
    • Imported, really just the Bigsby name on a generic copy
    • Die-cast aluminum, lightest weight
    • Stock 7/8" spring
    • Nylon bushings on both rollers (no bearings)
Some people actually prefer the look and feel of the Lightning Series I over the sand-cast Kalamazoo, but it's subjective.

Last edited:
I would add, I have not seen a bad finish on a Bx Bigsby. A lot of aftermarket parts (ie: Callaham), only work with Bx.

For some reason it is way more on other sites. Not sure what the deal is, but the one I got from GC seems like the real deal.

I went for a lightning series 1. On the way! Bigsby's are B.S. btw, you get one and then go well hell I think this guitar and that guitar need one too!

Yeah I thought it would be a silly novelty when I got it for my tele, but now I'm using trem all the time (on my strat too, which I never really used to do). I can't imagine not having one now.

Back