look at this paint Job Wow really sweet.

Gibson swirl...designed to commemorate when their factory flooded and the pain mixed together.  Lots of LPs like this too.

I tend to shy away from guitars with more knobs & switches than my mixing board.
But the paint is interesting.
:rock-on:

Hbom said:
I tend to shy away from guitars with more knobs & switches than my mixing board.
But the paint is interesting.
:rock-on:

That guitar had to be a MASSIVE failure for them.  Possibly just a PR move to sell more LPs.  I have NEVER seen anyone play one.

it call swirl dipping guitar  :glasses9:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmSV2l6JFt0

DMRACO said:
Gibson swirl...designed to commemorate when their factory flooded and the pain mixed together.  Lots of LPs like this too.

I've heard that was the inspiration for the swirl finish too. Nashville Floods a couple of years back. A number of pro musos lost some valuable instruments that were in storage too (storage facility got flooded). Peter Frampton amongst them.

Re-Pete said:
DMRACO said:

I've heard that was the inspiration for the swirl finish too. Nashville Floods a couple of years back. A number of pro musos lost some valuable instruments that were in storage too (storage facility got flooded). Peter Frampton amongst them.
The fine folks at Gibson sent out this pic back then.
GibsonNashvilleFlood_0510.jpg

It is the most viewed picture of all that I keep at photo bucket.

Re-Pete said:
DMRACO said:

I think it is this one
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPNFBICH?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=LPNFBICH-Les_Paul_Studio_Flood_Blue&zmam=89202644&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=LPNFBICH

LPNFBICH-xlarge.jpg

Probably not hard at all. That doesn't look like a real swirl job; it looks like it was "bring your kid to work day" and they let some 4 or 5 year old do finger painting with toxic finish materials. Being Gibson, they probably marked up the results 900% and paid the kid in cellophane-wrapped hard candy that was only a little fuzzy from sitting in grandma's purse for 17 years.

Real swirl jobs aren't as easy. There's some discussion of it here, and a bunch of interesting videos of it here.

I've seen brushed paint and the "crumpled bag" trick, and this doesn't look like either. Looks like fingerpaint. Seriously. Maybe a 4 year old didn't do it, but somebody put on some gloves and just smeared that finish around.

Cagey said:
I've seen brushed paint and the "crumpled bag" trick, and this doesn't look like either. Looks like fingerpaint. Seriously. Maybe a 4 year old didn't do it, but somebody put on some gloves and just smeared that finish around.

Well, you wouldn't want to blow your margin by paying a fully qualified finishing technician, wouldja?

Not when there are people out there who'll pay outrageous prices for fingerpaint.

Back