Locking Tuners- Schaller or D'addario/Planet Waves?

I'm settling on either D'addario auto-trim locking tuners and Schaller M6 locking tuners. Does anybody have experience with either and/or both? I'm sure I can't go wrong with either, but just curious about people's experiences!

I've used the planet waves auto-trim tuners on a couple of guitars. They work well, and the auto-trim feature is pretty nifty. The oldest guitar so equipped is 20 years old and the tuners still perform well.

But

They are not staggered and require the use of a string tree. This is why I've moved away from them and gone to Gotoh and hipshot. I have used schaller tuners as well, and they are pretty nice, but a bit heavy. I'm currently liking the lighter 'open gear' options available from other companies.

I’m a M6 fan, but I have also used Kluson, Hipshot, Sperzel, Fender and Gotoh locking tuners. All well made. Was not impressed with the Ratio ones though. I’m replacing a set of those today.

I've been very happy with the PW's I have been using for the last 10 or 11 years. As Mayfly noted, the auto-trim is a convenient feature.

I've used all three, probably the best for me is the hipshot. They will all work, but the hipshots are a breeze to install with the ump plate.

+1 for Hipshot, high quality and easy to install or remove without a trace using the UMP

Nice! I’ll look into the Hipshot. I definitely like the staggered posts for Hipshot and Schaller alike. Avoiding a string tree if possible is fine by me :)

I’m a M6 fan, but I have also used Kluson, Hipshot, Sperzel, Fender and Gotoh locking tuners. All well made. Was not impressed with the Ratio ones though. I’m replacing a set of those today.

Agreed on the Ratio tuners. They are constructed as good as any of the others, but trying to tune a guitar when each button has a different ratio gives me the creeps.

The M6 are great, but honestly my most favoritest are the Gotoh Magnum lockers.

Back