Locking 2-point Strat Tremolos: Decking, Blocking or Tremol-No?

PhilHill said:
Street Avenger said:
monchavo said:
Street Avenger said:
I've never understood the point of blocking it. No idea why Clapton does it.
If you don't use the vibrato bar, either deck it or play a hardtail.

Clapton stated that he didn't like the tone of a hard tail. I don't remember the precise word he used, but "brittle" comes to mind. Note that Robert Cray has an extremely distinctive tone and is the most high profile proponent of the hard tail strat.

Love Clapton's playing, but I think he's full of it. Blocking it would transfer vibration from the bridge to the body just like a hardtail does. I have both types of bridges, and I think the hardtail sounds great.
Jake E Lee is another high profile player who prefers hardtail Strats.

I believe what Clapton thought was that he wanted the bridge immobilized, but he felt that the springs and block added something to the sound. And the fact that a trem equipped strat and a hardtail one sound different would seem to support that theory.

Yep. A Strat with a hardtail bridge and one with a trem absolutely sound different. The inertia block is occupying a space that would normally be wood. So whether one personally thinks that’s important or audible through an amp is irrelevant. Many folks, myself included, hear a difference.

Back