Little little damage to finish.

ventolino

Yesterday, while i was doing shielding with alu tape, i made a little line (about half an inch) with my exacto knife.
Now i'd like to remove it, it's not deep but i can see it very well, how can i do?  :help:
Thanks.

Maybe you can fill it with that stuff made for repairing scratches in cars... willyk is probably the one who would know best.

If it were a tiny little scratch in a lacquer finish; I'd try buffing it out with automotive rubbing compound and then repolishing. Anyone know if automotive rubbing compound is OK on poly finish?

Ventolino - "Automotive rubbing compound" is what you would use to rub out a minor scratch on your car/motorcycle, don't know what you'd call it in Italian...

I've used MacGuiars #7 show car glaze on poly finishes to buff out dull spots. Works well, smells gross.

toothpaste

just use white Crest (or similar) toothpaste, on a rag, with a little water

done deal

What sort of finish is it? and how bad is the scratch?

For non poly clear finishes I use fine finishing oil which is thin and waxy (fills the scratch). Car cutting compounds work great on poly, as does toothpaste, pumice dust, even talcum powder rubbed on with your finger. But remember that polishes don't fill the scratch, they level the damaged area so take care with anything even slightly abrasive.

Thanks for all your replies  :icon_thumright:
Finish was made by Warmoth, so i think is poly(urethane)?
I know all products you said, i have car polish (automotive rubbing compound?) and car/allpurpose scratch remover.
Are these products right choice to fill scratch? Obviously i don't want to peel away paint near the scratch!
Is it a good idea to polish it with dremel tool or is it better if i polish it by hand?
BTW i'll post a pic so you can see.
:rock-on:

This is the pic. Sorry for quality but i have some problems with light reflections over gloss black finish.  :dontknow:

IMG_0605_resizeMod.jpg

I've also found this on body:

IMG_0608_resizeMod.jpg

This is a little crack arrived from neck pickup screw. I noticed in time before the screw pass finish, but now crack is there.
Some tips for this problem also?  :help:
Thanks.

It's on the back of the guitar??? C'mon!!!!!!! I thought it was in the front...
Nobody can see the butt of your guitar, so don't worry about this ""cellulite"  :laughing3:

I would keep the guitar as it is...

NonsenseTele said:
It's on the back of the guitar??? C'mon!!!!!!! I thought it was in the front...
Nobody can see the butt of your guitar, so don't worry about this ""cellulite"  :laughing3:

I would keep the guitar as it is...
NonsenseTele, i know it's on the back, but it's a brand new guitar and i'd like to see it flawless.
Maybe i'll end to leave it there but i'd like to try if i can remove it.  :icon_scratch:

Front of guitar, instead, is more and more beautiful hour after hour (i'm busy at work and i can only work on it few hours a day, frustrating).
This is a little preview, i'm undecided if leaving that amber knob or using ordered chrome knobs and if leaving or not that LP switch pad.
What you think?

IMG_0599_resize.jpg

Gloss black AAAAARGH !  I hate loathe and detest it. It looks great when it's perfect and untouched but dust, finger marks, scratches and smudges stand out like the proverbial canine gonads. It's never going to be "flawless" without a re-do but you could try black nail polish over the damage, then compound it flat, then something like Minwax wipe on gloss poly over the whole back if you don't want to spray it.

Back