Little little damage to finish.

ventolino said:
NonsenseTele, i know it's on the back, but it's a brand new guitar and i'd like to see it flawless.
Maybe i'll end to leave it there but i'd like to try if i can remove it.  :icon_scratch:

I totally empathise with you there, but I think willyk is right - it's black, it will get more visible marks.

Front of guitar, instead, is more and more beautiful hour after hour (i'm busy at work and i can only work on it few hours a day, frustrating).
This is a little preview, i'm undecided if leaving that amber knob or using ordered chrome knobs and if leaving or not that LP switch pad.
What you think?

Easy! Chrome knobs, no switch pad.  :glasses9:

willyk said:
Gloss black AAAAARGH !  I hate loathe and detest it. It looks great when it's perfect and untouched but dust, finger marks, scratches and smudges stand out like the proverbial canine gonads. It's never going to be "flawless" without a re-do but you could try black nail polish over the damage, then compound it flat, then something like Minwax wipe on gloss poly over the whole back if you don't want to spray it.

I agree with you, Willyk, i think i made a little mistake ordering gloss black, my first planning was a custom cherry-sunburst-like with transparent red black rear but after a lot of talk with Spike he said can't be done, then i switched to red dye front with standard black burstover and black rear but, because of natural masked binding, they said they can't do a finish like that (i later found this finish in showcase  ???), then again i finished ordering cherry sunburst and black rear remained in the order!
BTW yesterday i made a first clean with guitar polish and the scratch is less visible, i think a scratch remover will do the job!

NonsenseTele said:
Just take the switch pad!
Man this is the most gorgeous Warmoth WV I've ever seen!
Congrats

Man, you make me happy! Thanks! :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:
I think i'll remove switch pad anyway (i removed it yet  :laughing7:)

sell it on ebay as a "relic" and make a huge profit and buy a new one.

Tie a rope to the neck, drag it around behind your truck for a month, sell it for $4399.99 and buy four more Warmoths. Oh yes - I've had the real blues lawzy mama, can't you just tell from my guitar? :cool01:

Just read the whole topic.I would first sand it with 2000 paperand then buff. I used for buffing after 1200 grit paper Farecla G3 car compound. Works great with powertools. Buffing sponge (white-hard, orange-medium, black-soft) on a drill or angle grider (3000 rpm max!!!) gives you a glossy shine you can see on my Tele. Most compounds use wax to mask the scratches but nightmares come back when the wax is off. They're easy to apply by piece of cotton in your palm but won't solve the problem for long. Get Farecla and have fun stearing at your guitar like at a mirror.

How deep is the cut? If you drag your nail on the finish and it stops at the cut, no polishing material will help. You have to fill it in some way, and then buff it.

You can also fill up with a drop of superglue, wipe off the excess, then level with 2000 wet sandpaper ( or a bit coarser if needed but be VERY careful and then work your way up to 2000 ), then buff it with any of the polishing compounds the others have mentioned.

On the other hand if you have no experience with finishing maybe it's better that you either practice on some old guitar first or just leave it, otherwise you're likely to make the problem worse than it is.

As others I've said, the back will be scratched up very quickly while playing anyway so probably not worth bothering !

Thanks to all.
I think i'll leave that scratch as is because i think this is first of a collection  :icon_biggrin:

Back