List of essential parts for a new build?

jhumber

Hi,

My next warmoth build is going to be from scratch, as opposed to the last one where I replaced parts on an existing guitar. As such, I'd like to make sure I'll order everything I'll need, from an internals point of view.

I'm building an HSH guitar, with 5-way switch, 1 volume and 1 tone. So far, I've compiled the following list of the obvious parts needed:

- Jack socket
- 1 tone control pot (and knob)
- 1 volume control pot (and knob)
- 5 way switch

Questions:
1. With an HSH setup, what are the best values for the pots? 500k or 250k?
2. What other parts do I need to complete the build? I'm thinking along the lines of capacitors, hook up wire etc...?

Thanks alot
Jordan

You should use 500K pots in my opinion.

You also want a .047 or .022 uF capacitor.  .047 will roll off more treble, normally used for Les Pauls.  .022 is normally used for Strats.  I think I'd go with the .022 for a slightly brighter sound.  You can use any cheap cap if you prefer but Orange Drops are kind of the standard for guitar tone control caps.

For wire, just pick up any old thing at Radio Shack.

dbw said:

You also want a .047 or .022 uF capacitor.  .047 will roll off more treble, normally used for Les Pauls.  .022 is normally used for Strats.  I think I'd go with the .022 for a slightly brighter sound.  You can use any cheap cap if you prefer but Orange Drops are kind of the standard for guitar tone control caps.

Agree with the 500k pots, but are you sure about the uses for these cap values?  I was always under the impression 0.022 uf for humbuckers and 0.047 uf for single coils.  Do I have this backwards?

DocNrock said:
dbw said:

Agree with the 500k pots, but are you sure about the uses for these cap values?  I was always under the impression 0.022 uf for humbuckers and 0.047 uf for single coils.  Do I have this backwards?

I believe that to be the case, and as it's gonna be HSH, a .022uf capacitor seems logical.

I've used the Radio Shack wire but it seems larger gauge than I like.  I've taken to ordering the wiring kits from Warmoth.  $4 and worth it, in my opinion, especially for the coated coaxial wire for the output.  JMHO.

Regarding the caps.  I tend to go crazy with them, but I would at least recommend a good quality mylar cap.  The slightly higher cost helps ensure that the value of the cap is at least close to what it is supposed to be.  I personally use RS caps, but I really don't know if they are that much better, if at all. 

Also, make sure that if you phone in your order that you have them repeat everything you ordered and check each item off your list as they do. I requested MOP position markers on my neck and they came in black. When I called and asked they said that it wasn't on the invoice. Fair enough, but I know for sure I requested MOP inlays because I also requested a celtic cross at the 12th fret and the guy went into telling me how it would cost the same for one cross as it would for all of them, so I passed on the cross. But, alas,the MOP dots weren't on the invoice so there is no recourse for me on that one. It was his mistake though, I'm 110% sure of that. I still have the order paper sitting on my desk from when I ordered with the check marks next to each thing as I read them off. But, I should have had him repeat my order back to me so I'll take some of the blame. Just make sure of everything you order before you hang up that phone.
MULLY

mullyman said:
Also, make sure that if you phone in your order that you have them repeat everything you ordered and check each item off your list as they do. I requested MOP position markers on my neck and they came in black. When I called and asked they said that it wasn't on the invoice. Fair enough, but I know for sure I requested MOP inlays because I also requested a celtic cross at the 12th fret and the guy went into telling me how it would cost the same for one cross as it would for all of them, so I passed on the cross. But, alas,the MOP dots weren't on the invoice so there is no recourse for me on that one. It was his mistake though, I'm 110% sure of that. I still have the order paper sitting on my desk from when I ordered with the check marks next to each thing as I read them off. But, I should have had him repeat my order back to me so I'll take some of the blame. Just make sure of everything you order before you hang up that phone.
MULLY

Yeah, I really think it's ridiculous that they don't immediately email you an invoice so you can check. At least they could give you 24 hours to review that?

Anyway, sorry to jack the thread.

Not really hijacking the thread, it all has to do with helping jhumber on his order. I agree, emailing an order receipt and requiring confirmation would be good for both sides and it would totally eliminate this type of dissatisfaction. Don't get me wrong, I love my Warmoth guitar and I swear to God in Heaven that from this point forward, unless it's a special piece from Fender, Gibson etc..., I will never buy another production guitar again. I'm sticking with Warmoth. So, I am a very satisfied customer in that respect. But some type of confirmation would be great.
MULLY

Hey guys - thanks for all the replies.

I placed the order a few weeks ago.....and as for the confirmation email......I requested that they charge me at the time of order (pound is getting worse by the day against the dollar), and in order to do that they sent me an email asking me to confirm all the spec before they charged me. I thought this was a nice touch, and was very pleased with how they handled it all.

I'm currently 2 weeks in to a 12 week wait....it's torture ;-)

Cheers
Jordan.

Hey, Jordan, my neck was special order, I think I talked about that in another post in this thread. I placed my order on December 3rd, they said it would be 6 weeks, and she arrived here, in Japan, on December 26th. Waaaaaay before they said it would be. I hope the good luck fairy rains down on you like she did on me in that department. Talk about a thrill. Thinking there's at least another month left and the delivery guy showing up at your door.
MULLY

mullyman said:
Hey, Jordan, my neck was special order, I think I talked about that in another post in this thread. I placed my order on December 3rd, they said it would be 6 weeks, and she arrived here, in Japan, on December 26th. Waaaaaay before they said it would be. I hope the good luck fairy rains down on you like she did on me in that department. Talk about a thrill. Thinking there's at least another month left and the delivery guy showing up at your door.
MULLY

Don't tell me that Mully!!!! Now you've got me thinking it could arrive sooner ;-)
In fairness, my Warmoth strat neck arrived 1 week sooner that quoted, the strat body arrived 2 weeks sooner than quoted, and my bass player's Gecko arrived over 2 weeks early. I think bodies in general take a bit longer as there's all the paintwork to be done, but hey - I'll be very happy if it arrives early!!
Cheers
Jordan

Back