Linear vs. Audio Taper Potentiometers

Neo Fender

Please correct my assumptions if I am wrong but:

Volume pots in guitars usually have an audio taper but either (audio or linear) will work and that it’s a matter of preference.

Tone pots: aren’t they usually linear tapered?

Thanks.

Volume pots are always audio tapered; it's not a matter of preference, it's a matter of functionality. A linear volume pot will act almost like a switch to your ear.

Tone pots should be linear tapered, but rarely are. Not sure why, but I suspect it has to do with stocking/manufacturing simplicity. You can successfully use 500K audio taper pots for just about everything about guitars/basses. Any other arrangement requires some attention to detail.

Cagey said:
Volume pots are always audio tapered; it's not a matter of preference, it's a matter of functionality. A linear volume pot will act almost like a switch to your ear.
I have to respectfully disagree with this. Linear pots used as guitar volume controls aren't uncommon. Lots of Gibsons ship from the factory with them, for instance. After playing one of said Gibsons, I liked the action of the linear taper so much that I started using them in all of my guitars. Smooth, consistent roll off all the way across the sweep of the pot. Audio pots on the other hand have all the action in a small sweep, then a whole lot of not-much-happening. It's how they're designed.

The audio/log taper was devised to cater to the non-linear nature of human hearing. When you turn your guitar amplifier up from zero, a linear taper pot would seem to bring the volume on very abruptly. So the audio pot stretches that initial part of the taper out. It gives you a very gradual increase from 0 to around 7, then the rest of the range is covered quite rapidly from 7 to 10. However, on guitars, we typically have the volume wide open and are then turning down from there, which means that we get the fast part of the taper from 10 to 7 first, then not much happens after that. An audio pot in a guitar volume sounds like a switch to my ear: dirty to clean in in just a nudge, then then a long span of going from clean to "off". I like to use the volume knob to control how hard I push the amp, and audio pots always drove me nuts with their all-at-once operation. But I kept using them because I was always told that linear pots would be too abrupt. Actually playing a guitar loaded with them was a real eye opener. Linear volume in a guitar is way smooth. Audio is where it's at for volume swells though, fast action in a small sweep.

On the other hand, linear taper for the tone pot makes me crazy. Very little action from 10 until 4 or so, then allofasuddeneverything. I use audio pots for tone every time.

I think the "audio vs linear" pot debate falls squarely under "matter of preference".

I think you've got it backward, but if it works for you, then that's what you should do.

I know, it sounds like I'm saying the sky isn't blue, but I assure you I don't have my tapers backwards. Clearly your experience using linear tapered volume pots differed from mine, but that's the whole point. The OP asked about the taper of volume pots, and saying that "Volume pots are always audio tapered" is simply incorrect. There's plenty of precedent for linear volume controls in guitars, in the form of major guitar makers and garage tinkerers such as myself alike. Ibanez and Carvin use a linear volume / audio tone combination. Gibson uses either linear or audio for volume depending on the year and the model, but always an audio tone. Fender typically uses audio taper on everything. There are no hard and fast rules on this stuff. It's a matter of preference. My advice to the OP: Experiment.
:rock-on:

David Collins does a really great demonstration here, comparing the strengths and weaknesses of the different tapers in a guitar volume application:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8SHJvmpNZE#t=455

And here is his equally enlightening take on guitar tone controls. He covers pot taper in the first few minutes, but the whole thing is quite informative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjDwjXN9auY&list=UUrY8NKQYiGTFQ78lBdYi2dQ

These videos are well worth a watch.

I looked at those videos you linked to. They're probably the best Utube videos I've seen explaining all this.

Actually, I wish I'd seen those before. Because when I was waiting for parts for my current build project, I did a lot of research into just those topics. I was starting from scratch, so I had a lot of legwork to do (and ended up with similar findings to the above videos). I started writing things down, and in the process developed a document to keep everything straight for myself. And because I wanted to pass it on to someone as a bit of a tutorial, it morphed into a kind of primer.

Anyway, below is a download link to an excerpt. There's a lot of it that's established fact/science. And some that's just my interpretations and preferences. I'd actually love to have some of you give me some feedback (Cagey, line6man, are you out there???)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48083475/Seraphina%20wiring%20011%20-%20pp33-53%20-%20ToneAndVol.pdf

Man alive, I take notes when I'm doing these sorts of experiments but you have written a book! I've only just browsed it, but I look forward to giving it a good read. What's on the first 32 pages?

Anytime you worry that the psychosis is maybe getting just a leetle beet too deep - talk to a golfer. Talk to a bow-hunter.... :eek:

StübHead said:
Anytime you worry that the psychosis is maybe getting just a leetle beet too deep - talk to a golfer. Talk to a bow-hunter.... :eek:

Hahahah I bow hunter will talk your ear off, draw weight, draw length, arrow length and weight arrow head type and weight list goes on and they all know what is the best combo!

Yup. And fishermen.

Well Verne, if you do read the whole thing, it looks like you'll be the only one. No matter - as I mentioned, my intent was to pass it along to a buddy overseas who wanted all the nitty gritty on my project. During my long wait for parts, I'd already been saving screenshots of my simulations, and drawn out wiring diagrams, and accumulated all sortsa notes. So all I had to do was pretty much just organize and pack it all together. The process further clarified things for me, and it's become a kind of build-planning log.

I breezed thru it today and found a couple of errors. Decimal points, max vs. min, fiddly stuff (I haven't always been checked it all over as I edit and mess with it). But if you want the updated version just grab it again. Cheers. :eek:ccasion14:

Back