linear/audio

Linear taper is like its name.  Resistance is proportional to how far you turn the shaft.  Also denoted with a B in front of the resistance value. (B500K)  Audio taper are logrithmically proportional to the amount of turn.  This is how your ears perceive changes in sound sound, denoted with an A on the pot. (A500K)
Patrick

Patrick

do pots typicaly used for guitars always have the A or B in the value? It seems to me that Ive seen a bunch that did not. What about the pots sold by Warmoth? Are they printed with an A or B?

Brian

bpmorton777 said:
Patrick

do pots typicaly used for guitars always have the A or B in the value? It seems to me that Ive seen a bunch that did not. What about the pots sold by Warmoth? Are they printed with an A or B?

Brian

If it helps at all, I haven't seen any that haven't had a letter included with the value.

You want audio taper pots for a guitar. If you use linear, for most of the knob's range you won't hear anything, then BAM at the last second.

I can't remember seeing the letter on the pot in my guitar, but yes, the audio taper (volume how we hear it) type of pot is what you want.  There is a lot of talk about DIY pedals around here so I threw that out for completeness sake.  I know othatn the company "alpha" that supplies most of the pedal builders adds the letter on a lot of theirs.  I can't vouch for all of them though.  There is another called a reverse audio taper, but I left it out because I didn't think it would be necessary.

Loge story short, use the audio taper, that is the way you hear things.  That is how you want your volume knob to work.
Patrick

I just popped open one of my guitars and took a look..dosnt look like you xan see a value at all let alone A or B on the push/pull pots.

Brian

Back