Lindy Fralins

ZackPomerleau

Hi I am getting Lindy Fralin Real 54's ayone have sound clips? Also, does anyone know a way of putting on a tone switch that pushes in so all of the pickups play at the same time, how would I do it?

http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Strat_Pickup_Sound_Clips_W1.cfm

Since I JUST did this, here's a diagram. This could be a separate switch, push-pull pot, or push-push, whatever.

Oops, that diagram should read 'switch ON, 5-way in 2 position'.
Just run a wire from where the pickup meets the 5-way switch, on to this additional switch - you still have to wire the rest of it normally. Basically this switch just comes between the 5-way output and the volume control.

Hmmm I will get this straight before i do it! How would it work though, getting all of them to run, then making it press the switch to work? would the 5 way switch do anything then?

With this particular method, the five-way switch always works no matter what. Just that when this switch is 'on' (up), the bridge pup is added into the circuit. So if your 5way is already in 'bridge' or 'bridge/middle' position, this switch does nothing at all, but if your 5way is in 'neck' then turning this on adds the bridge, or if its in 'neck/middle', then turning this on gives you all three together. Hope that makes sense.

If you want a switch where turning it on always turns on all three pickups, just add the wires from the additional pickups onto that top right lug. There's probably a more elegant way but that would work. If you wanted to bypass the whole 5-way, tone and volume controls for a "FULL F*'N ROCK" setting, basically a 'Spinal Tap' button, you could do it but it would be  tad more involved and probably not that much cooler. You should learn about electronics and how they work, then you'll be able to get creative and make your own diagram. It's really simple, junior high shop class stuff, you can teach yourself with some helpful web sites. Here's a site to get started.
http://www.1728.com/guitar.htm

I did exactly what tfarny suggested on my 8-ball strat.  Works really well, you can get some really useable new tones.  I particularly like the bridge+neck selection. 

try it.

Has anyone ever used the Lindy Blues Specials for a Telecaster. I'm thinking about putting a set of these in my project guitar.  I know Brad Paisley uses these in some of his rigs. I'm looking for that good Paisley sound but I also want a good overdrive tone for a little classic rock.

A little off-topic; but I found that adding the bridge pickup with the neck or visa-versa yields some very usable tones.  I had a couple mini toggle switches available on my Hamer USA Daytona (Strat body) when I yanked out all the SD single-coil size humbuckers (Vintage Rails, JB Jr., Lil Demon) to replace everything with a set of Fralin Vintage Hot singe coils.  I had the mini switches for coil splitting the Demon and the JB Jr.  The results were horrid, so I decided to go all true single coil on that guitar.

I made use of those toggle switches by being able to engage the bridge pickup with the neck, or the neck pickup while in the bridge.  Some really cool sounds there.  I use those switches much more than any notch position playing.  For the most part, I find little use for the 2 & 4 notch positions.  Maybe had I went for the Real 54's instead of the vintage hots, the notch positions may be more useful.  The Vintage Hots are a bit over-wound.  I'm sort of sorry that I chose the Hots, but dealing with them for now.

Back