Like I need another project, Oops. (Not really)

Patrick from Davis

Sooooooo, I started another project.  Sort of.  I bought another neck.  Of all of the guitars I have built, none have really been for more heavy, loud music.  They have all been odd slices of the personality that a custom guitar would really be the only way to properly address things.  That and they make me smile.  So I decided to start on the Metal guitar.  Considering I play noisy music from my formative years more than anything, it seemed reasonable to put one together.  I have always liked the Lawrence headstock, and Dave Mustaines King V.  So, that is easy.  But, to kick it up a notch or two, I went with a Wenge neck and a Ziricote fingerboard.  And Oooooooooh what a finger board.

Ziricote_Fingerboard.jpg

So, this guitar will have an expensive neck, and then I'll try to put the output jack on the top horn of the V.  Don't want things to be too easy.  I will dye the wood black and coat with Tung Oil for a more antique like look.  Well that is the plan for now, we'll see how long it lasts.  I don't normally name guitars of mine, just not really part of my personality, but this one looks like a bottle opener, so I guess that will probably be my pet term for it.

And it is not really out of the box, yet...  Unless my ramblings are letting it out of the metaphorical box.  Good enough.
Patrick

I love Ziricote.  Looks like a stormy and turbulent sky.  Should look and feel amazing coupled with the Wenge shaft.

Yeah, I have three Wenge necks already, one with a Ziricote board on it.  But that project is on hold due to technical difficulties with parts.  I also have a Ziricote neck.  If you ever get the chance to get one, yeah.  It is like a dense piece of uber hard wax.  Fun to play, heavy.  I have wanted a crazy piece of Ziricote for quite some time, and I saw this and jumped.
Patrick

It aint' as insanely purty as yours, but I got a nice chunk of vitamin Z waiting around for when I have the balls and the time to try and build a neck from scratch. This guy's 3/4" thick, so I can resaw it into blanks that will permit me to phuck it up once or twice before I run out of chances, but this looks like some lovely fingerboard action getting ready to happen.  It has a brother, as well - the lovely slab of cocobolo you see here.

7831803610_ddc06b5990_b.jpg

Them fellers at the Big Dubya seems to be cornerin that there market on them purty pieces, I recokon.  But Yous gots some mighty fine vitsamins Z there.
Patrick

Holy mackerel! I'm glad you saw that piece before I did!

Ziricote_Fingerboard.jpg

I've been lusting after a piece of Ziricote like that for some time. That is gorgeous!

I know. But, go look at the "Unique Choice" pieces of Ziricote they've got up right now. The stock has rotated since I last looked, and there are a few in there that are positively drool-worthy. Wish I hadn't seen them, but you can't un-ring that bell. My poor credit card...

It reminded me of the picture of Ziricote in the neck tone-scale page.  This one is the first I have seen that has that much entropy to it.  So I bought it.  However, it looks like ramen and peanut butter sandwiches are going to be common for a little while now.
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
...it looks like ramen and peanut butter sandwiches are going to be common for a little while now.

Hehe! Yeah. Been there, done that. Hate cutting back on the beer/food supply. But, you gotta do what you gotta do. You get an electric bill every month - unique Ziricote necks only show up once in a great while.

Ziricote is just marvelous, I love it. I have one with wenge/ziricote and one canary/ziricote, and I absolutely love that wood. And it's hard enough to make guitar picks from too. I've made several and they are awesome..Made a bridge from it too...just need to finish it..
Ziricote%20bridge%202_zpsuani1dfb.jpg

I think I want it. Don't know what I'll do with it, but I'm sure there's the ghost of guitar hiding underneath that thing. Plus, I have a couple knobs and pots and a set of strings in some drawer or another. Might even have a bone nut blank sitting around just rotting. What else do you need? I'm sure whatever I'm missing I can get from somewhere.

Cagey, I believe I've told you before to buy a string tree.  You don't ever have to use it, but you'll always have something if you need a part to start another build with.  Yes, I'm evil.
Patrick

Hmmm. Perhaps we should call you Patrick from Perdition  :laughing7:

If I used all the parts I have in stock as starting points for guitars, I'd need to win the lottery several times over to afford the cost, plus hire a bunch of scantily clad nubile young wood nymphs to help me along the way. Then I'd need an accountant and a tax advisor and some sort of CEO/CTO/CFO/etc. and all the evil minions they'd want to keep them happy...

Cagey said:
I think I want it. Don't know what I'll do with it, but I'm sure there's the ghost of guitar hiding underneath that thing. Plus, I have a couple knobs and pots and a set of strings in some drawer or another. Might even have a bone nut blank sitting around just rotting. What else do you need? I'm sure whatever I'm missing I can get from somewhere.
You talkin' 'bout the bridge?

DangerousR6 said:
You talkin' 'bout the bridge?

Yeah. That Ziricote part you posted back a little bit. It's an interesting piece. But, as I mentioned, I don't know what I'd do with it at the moment. I'll wait for you to install it on something and give us a report on what a wonderful thing it is.

That ziricote board is freakin' incredible!  I've never seen grain like that in a piece of wood, before.  That's going to be a cool shredder...King V...nice!  :headbang1:

Back