Les Pauls With Floyds

I actually really like that finish! :icon_biggrin: But I feel like since I'm not really an Al Di Meola fan it would be really strange. It would be like putting EVH stripes on your guitar when you're not a VH fan haha

And Orpheo, you have me thinking. Wondering more about just going with a Wilkinson. I've heard great things, seen some awesome Youtube videos (people divebombing and not going out of tune), and not sure if I want the upkeep of a Floyd. Good thing I'm broke, I've got plenty of time to wonder and play more guitars!

Wana's made a guitar said:
If only there were a vibrato system that acted like a floyd, had none of that locking nut gayness so I could change tunings, looked like a floyd with none of the dicking around when it comes to changing strings and intonating. Floyds are cool, but holy crap, the time you waste trying to make them usable is ridiculous.

GFS has a cheap version of the speedloader Floyd rose!!! I am thinking about getting one on a Talon project...
thumbnail.asp

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Floyd-Rose-Fastloader-locking-Tremolo-System_p_260.html

I have no trouble with Floyds, been using them for nearly 25 years.
Any floating trem will have a learning curve as far as setup is concerned.  I can change strings on any of my guitars relatively quickly.  It's helpful if you change one string at a time as opposed to all at once and re-setting the float.

Märkeaux said:
Wana's made a guitar said:
If only there were a vibrato system that acted like a floyd, had none of that locking nut gayness so I could change tunings, looked like a floyd with none of the dicking around when it comes to changing strings and intonating. Floyds are cool, but holy crap, the time you waste trying to make them usable is ridiculous.

GFS has a cheap version of the speedloader Floyd rose!!! I am thinking about getting one on a Talon project...
thumbnail.asp

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Floyd-Rose-Fastloader-locking-Tremolo-System_p_260.html
While those are cheap comparatively in price, the quality of those are superb. I have 3 of them, well worth the $60

It's an interesting idea but I don't see how it's going to be any better than the Stetsbar, which itself is already plagued with problems and that's not even trying to get the full Floyd range. In fact the new Floyd looks just like the Stetsbar, but with locking saddles. I really don't see it working out well. Either it won't have the range of a "full" Floyd so it'll just be a Stetsbar with hopefully less string breakage, or it'll try to have full dive range and break strings even more. That's not to mention how much Stetsbars suck tone and sustain already - I dread to think what this Floyd will do.

I'll be keen to test it out - provided the price is reasonable - but I can't say I've got high hopes for it nor can see why anyone else would have.

1: Floyds suck tone in general, so I doubt this could suck any more tone
2: You are assuming that the range won't be the same as a normal floyd. There is no fact to back this up.
3: Why would strings break on this? It completely replaces the TOM. If you have string breakage problems with a floyd, then why look at a floyd for a LP?

No trem is ideal for changing tunings. Actually that's true no matter how you read it.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Paul-less said:
Once again, incase nobody saw my post, the following is a link

LES PAUL RETROFIT FLOYD ROSE

I just reread both pages, and this looked to be your 1st post in this thread.  I guess we all missed it.

Oh lordy, where did it go? I must be losing my mind. I could have sworn that I posted about the LP Floyd at NAMM on here....

EDIT:
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=15529.msg225556#msg225556

reply #12. Same topic, different area. I understand why I lost where I was. Won't happen again i hope!

Paul-less said:
Oh lordy, where did it go? I must be losing my mind. I could have sworn that I posted about the LP Floyd at NAMM on here....

I do that all the time, lol.  Instead of hitting "post," I hit "show new replies," and it never posts.

That thing is really cool. My biggest worry would be what a Floyd would sound like without a block. Since I can't see how it would have one mounted on top of a Les Paul... Maybe it could and I'm just not picturing it correctly in my head. The other concern is not having a locking nut, but I know Carvin makes guitars with normal nuts and Floyds all the time. Some people on their forums love them, some absolutely hate them. So I guess that's still up in the air. I guess it's all about a good set up and a perfect nut. I might be willing to try that, but only if the headstock had straight string pull. I think that would really help, but maybe not.

Paul-less said:
1: Floyds suck tone in general, so I doubt this could suck any more tone
You'd be surprised. Stetsbars work in the same way as this and suck tone and sustain more than a Floyd does.

2: You are assuming that the range won't be the same as a normal floyd. There is no fact to back this up.
No, I did say it could have the same range as a regular Floyd. I doubt it'll do so without breaking strings veery other second though. What's more likely is it will have less range, to be more stable.

3: Why would strings break on this? It completely replaces the TOM. If you have string breakage problems with a floyd, then why look at a floyd for a LP?
Same reason the Stetsbar snaps strings. The pressure on the strings is immense when everything is so close. With a regular vibrato you've got a big block of metal that takes most of the spring strain. With these kinds of designs, the strain is right there with the strings.

Literally all this Floyd is is a Stetsbar with locking saddles instead of a mounted stopbar. The physical limitations and problems of having everything mounted on top of the guitar like that mean the Stesbar breaks strings like nobody's business, goes out of tune constantly, saps sustain like you would not believe and has less range than a Bigsby. Locking saddles alone and the Floyd Rose name are not going to fix all of those massive, massive flaws.

As I said, if they somehow work it all out, do some technical wizardy and get it to work reasonably well then I'll happily give it a try, but I'm not getting my hopes up. This isn't a particularly new design and it's one that hasn't worked out well in the past. Meanwhile we've got several companies making regular production Les Pauls with Floyds as standard, not to mention limited run models, custom shop models or plain custom builds.

the biggest reason the stetsbar breaks strings so easily, is because the strings shave over the saddles! on the les paul floyd retrofit, the strings move much, much less, so less breakage.

nevertheless, most likely, I'll be getting the 'regular' floyd route, cause I want the gotoh-floyd!

IMHO,
Don't Recess.
I did it on my Blackbird, and while it is a neat feature, (You can do the whole Dimebag-turn-the-arm-backwards-and-squeal thing), the cons of recessing outweigh the pros.
(BTW, these are the same cons you encounter with any other floating trem, but because of the recess, the effects are exacerbated)

PROS
- Up/down range for cool sweeps and sounds

CONS
- A string break throws the whole thing sharp, as the bridge is being overwhelmed by the spring tension.
- Bending a single note affects all the other strings, ie; in a chord with a bent note, all the other strings go sickly flat.
- Changing strings is a hassle, you have to block or prop the bridge up to make it workable.
- If you change your string guage or tuning, the whole thing has to be rebalanced.

These are just experiences I've had, if you disagree or have solutions to these problems, I'd love to hear them.
Cheers,

Floyd

Back