L5s in the works....any advice?

Ceeelow

Hello all!

I've just become a member so please excuse any often asked questions...I did several searches before posting I promise! Anyway, I'm in talks with Spike about building a L5s and its going great. He's editing my mistakes as I make them. He is clearly knowledgeable and his communication skills are top notch. But, I thought it couldn't hurt to post something in the off chance someone else out there might have built a L5s and discovered things I might not catch along the way -  maybe some design things to take into consideration that native to the L5s or interesting build techniques that will add extra quality in both sound and playability.......stuff like that?

Cheers,

Clark

I just finished my first L5S a while back;  here's a link to finished axe with some notes:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=2669.0

Ordering the body is all pretty straight forward, really:

1.) Obviously, although there is another option, you want the hollow body version
2.) Mine has the single f-hole, would have preferred 2, but the holes are cut prior to the top being glued to the body, so they can't be added to a Showcase body; not an issue in this case.
3.) Biggest consideration is the wood(s) you are going to choose for the body, as it's hollow, this has a much greater impact on tonality of the guitar than with other body designs. I'm completely blown away with my korina L5S, have always kept a hollow body in my guitar collection - usually an ES-335 of some flavor - but cannot get over some great the tone of hollow korina is. My only Warmoth hollow body is an all mahogany Thinline, I used to like that one "best of all", but now I'm stuck on this one.
4.) I personally wouldn't ever put a tremolo bridge on the L5S body design, but whatever floats your boat...

What kind of sound are you looking for, what kind of music do you play, etc.?
4.)

Just to add... I'm the "other side of force"
I don't like hollow for rock sounds... if you're not going to play something trying to get a LP + Marshall tone, probably you're looking for a Hollow...

I would say: get a thick neck ( Fatback or '59 Roundback or Boatback) for more beefy tone!

And tell us the kind of music you're going to play will help beyond you can understand

Back