L.O.F. Super Strat

War_in_D

This one is a Warmoth Finished Quilt Maple/Chambered Alder with natural masked binding body that I picked up out of the Showcase a little while back.  It's getting mated to the ? wood/Ebony neck with SS frets that I got along with the red Soloist body (now deemed the Copperhead Soloist in the other build thread) off Ebay.  Trying a little different control layout with this one and stepping away from my normal Jackson/Charvel layout that I tend to gravitate toward (volume and tone with three way directly between them). 

Body:  Warmoth Finished Quilt/Chambered Alder body in Amber Dye
Neck:  ? Wood/Black Ebony board with SS frets (I say ? wood because the general consensus here is Mahogany, but I still have my doubts and think it's walnut especially after putting on several coats of Tung Oil)
Specs will be all black hardware on this one (donated by the Warmoth "revamp" project, which will be getting aged chrome hardware this time around).
Black Original Floyd
Black Sperzel locking tuners
Pickups.. not sure yet, but leaning toward a Dimarzio Super 3/Liquifire combo in zebra (black/creme)

Attachments

• Warmoth Quilt.jpg
    Warmoth Quilt.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Warmoth Neck 3.jpg
    Warmoth Neck 3.jpg
    617.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Warmoth Neck 2.jpg
    Warmoth Neck 2.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 40
While the first coat of Tung Oil is drying on the neck for the Copperhead Soloist, I did a little work to the neck for this build.  I'm using Sperzels on this one, so the tuner ream had to be enlarged a bit.  Got that done, and had a tiny bit of tear out around the edges.  Chamfered them a bit, it's passable and will be covered by the tuner bushings in the front anyway so it's all good.

Second thing, the neck was originally set up for a top mount Floyd Nut, but I'm not a huge fan of doing it that way so I converted it over to a rear mount..  That was a little stressful given that I really didn't want to mess up this neck and it was my first time doing this but thankfully it turned out OK.  I usually just let the pros at Warmoth do that for me.. I just took my time, measured twice (or a dozen times).. Practiced on a few pieces of scrap wood before I committed, and just tried to be really careful.  Came out pretty good, even if I do say so myself but I'm glad that's over with.. lol 

Attachments

• Tuner Ream.jpg
    Tuner Ream.jpg
    592.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Floyd Nut 1.jpg
    Floyd Nut 1.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 15
If two guitar projects at a time is considered ambitious I need to rethink some things

Attachments

• IMG-3309.jpg
    IMG-3309.jpg
    702.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-3305.jpg
    IMG-3305.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 27
LOL.. Point taken! 

I have a few more unfinished "projects" as well, but it's been so long since I worked on them I don't really consider them in the count any more.  They are more "I'll get around to it, when I get around to it" sort of things.

I gave this one a name today.. I'm calling this one the L.O.F. or "Lake of Fire" Super Strat.  Did some work to the neck today.  Dressed the fret ends, and rolled the fretboard.  I really need to find a more consistent way of rolling the edges. They feel good, but don't look the best.

Attachments

• Fred ends rounded and rolled 2.jpg
    Fred ends rounded and rolled 2.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Fred ends rounded and rolled.jpg
    Fred ends rounded and rolled.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Fred ends rounded.jpg
    Fred ends rounded.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Fred ends during.jpg
    Fred ends during.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Fret Ends before.jpg
    Fret Ends before.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Neck Fret Ends.jpg
    Neck Fret Ends.jpg
    639.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Lake of fire.jpg
    Lake of fire.jpg
    663 KB · Views: 31
ragamuffin said:
Love that neck!

Thanks!  Now I'm reconsidering the black hardware and thinking maybe gold. 

For anyone that might take a look at this.. what do you think?

Your preferences are the priority of course, however I wonder if because of the amount of yellow in the flame that gold might end up getting lost in it. I would go with the black myself if contrast is your goal. Maybe chrome, but I'm not sure about that. Get some gold paper and cut it into squares and rectangles the size of the hardware. Then lay them on the guitar and see what it looks like........... :headbang:

That finish looks like a river of lava! It really makes me want to order a custom guitar body when I see finishes like this.

Michael

Thanks for the input.. I think I'll go with black hardware as originally planned.  I have the gold here if I ever decide to change it up.

Michaelga said:
That finish looks like a river of lava! It really makes me want to order a custom guitar body when I see finishes like this.

Michael

Yeah, that's a pretty nice finish on that body but the weight was a big factor in me buying it too. It weighed in at only 3 lbs and 5 oz. That's before they cut the routes!  Not to mention it was pretty decently priced.  There are absolutely gorgeous bodies in the showcase, and I would pass on due to weight and it would be hard for me to ever custom order one again. Not that I have ever been disappointed but I like to see what I'm getting before I plunk down my money. 

Mocked up with the black hardware.. I think black is the right choice.  For now..  :turtle:

Attachments

• LOF Loaded Mock up.jpg
    LOF Loaded Mock up.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 29
Black and zebra humbuckers is looking SUPER sick! That body and neck are gorgeous too!

I can't believe the finished body was that light too- crazy!

Looking forward to the rest of your build

Thanks all!  Finally got the rest of the parts I needed to finish my two builds and the revamp of the previous Warmoth build, so hopefully should be posting up some more pics soon.

Back