Kuro's New Soloist

Kuro Uma

I promise I'm not dyeing this one to death.

So I'm starting with this. Black korina with a UC flamed walnut top. Indian rosewood neck with a UC ziricote fretboard.
4wb9.jpg

I had this crazy idea that it would look good with flamed maple binding. So i carefully routed the side channels.
i1o1.jpg

0w6h.jpg

I veneered the headstock with flamed maple then a nice redwood burl and a flamed walnut over the maple. I plan on routing through to the maple so might look odd for now. Hopefully I can pull off what's in my head.
qhsy.jpg

hdel.jpg

Now we can't have binding just on the fretboard... so let's cut the channels for the headstock binding.
w1bo.jpg

sr4t.jpg

Since there is a floyd nut shelf I thought it best to do the headstock binding first. Since the headstock binding would run at an angle to the fretboard.
uu2r.jpg

wrx8.jpg

I re-routed the channel up near the nut where the headstock binding extended into the fretboard channels and glued in the binding and trimmed it all up. I think it's looking pretty good so far.
86v7.jpg

66u3.jpg

The contrast to the rosewood
cn38.jpg

The nut shelf was very high. Warmoth warned me it would be. So I lowered it a bit. I may need to lower it a bit more, we'll see once I install the SS6105's. The truss access hole is not cleaned up yet but you get the idea.
g7jj.jpg

First time I've ever tried my hand at binding, I think it's going fairly well. Fingers crossed.

No ink in sight, but you have my attention...the binding does add an extra touch to the wood combination. 

What sort of router did you use for that ?

Even tho I can see some space between some binding parts... Wow! Fill those holes in with something and it's perfect :eek:

Cederick said:
Even tho I can see some space between some binding parts... Wow! Fill those holes in with something and it's perfect :eek:

Yeah on the treble side of the headstock where the maple meets maple it's filled with a little CA. Same with the end of the fretboard. The sides are still bit tall as I need to match the radius, so it can look like a gap but I assure you it's flush with the fretboard. It's just slightly raised above the surface of the fretboard. It's mainly the parts where the binding meets binding that I need to perfect. What can I say, first try and I'm very happy with it.

stratamania said:
No ink in sight, but you have my attention...the binding does add an extra touch to the wood combination. 

What sort of router did you use for that ?

I used a dremel on a base with a piloted .060 bit I got from Stewmac. The maple is .080 thick but I'd rather have the binding slighty proud so I could sand it flush. Near the end of the channels I finished the routs by hand with a small dovetail like saw and sharp chisels. I did so because I didn't trust the dremel to stay true near the ends and on the headstock the guide runs into the nut shelf.

I know I'm impressed. Binding a neck has to be one of the trickier things one can do, and this one is going to be both gorgeous and unique.

The thing that has kept me from trying it is the radius on the fretboard. Couldn't figure out how to keep the router square so the binding would set in properly. For some reason, it never occurred to me to just let it be a bit proud so you can shape it after the fact. Makes perfect sense. Even on a body you have to do that.

Thanks, Kuro. I'm not only impressed, I'm inspired.

Beautiful! What a great combination of woods. Your binding work really adds some class as well. I'll be watching this one with interest.

I appreciate the comments guys. I got more done over the holiday weekend.

The headstock is about done. I routed down into the maple to create an area to set the ebony initials. My grandfathers again. Also made the truss cover from flame maple and a thin veneer of ziricote.
wnhd.jpg

I was doing a some research and came across our family crest/coat of arms what have you, and wanted to see if I could incorporate some of that. Anyhow I decided if i could create the rampant lion from the crest in flamed maple without it breaking I would inlay it. Here's how it came out.

1w1e.jpg

Then the neck looked lonely so I decided on a single inlay at the 12th. Seeing as how we have no frets on there seems like the best time to give it a shot with some flame maple and redwood.

trxr.jpg

Overall it's looking pretty good to me.

zohv.jpg

Wife says it matches her couch. I got it fretted this evening but haven't taken pics yet. Will have more tomorrow.

My goodness! You really turn out some first-rate instruments! That thing is gorgeous!

If Sublimely Hot is not too contradictory a term, then that's my verbal response to your latest mind-boggling creation, Kuro...Jeez!!

Dude.... :eek:

your work is first rate.

It may match the Mrs's couch,  :laughing11:
But I bet when it is all said and done, that thin is gonna be freakin' unreal. :headbang1:

:rock-on:

Back