Koa Tele Build

Time to resurrect this bad-boy. I want to know what happened to this Cinderella story.

Instead of a "polished turd" this is like that story I heard on NPR where scientists were able to turn fecal matter into edible and nutritious steak.

Wow, that was a very timely thread resurrection.  I am a couple days away from some big updates. 

I'm happy to report that, minus a nut install and setup, this thing is DONE! I'm really happy with how it's turned out.  But I've been pretty terrible about keeping this thread updated, so I'm going to go back and cover some of the progress before I show off the finished product. 

First, the neck.  WOW.  I don't know how I haven't posted about this yet.  I got a bunch of Warmoth gift certificates for Christmas and splurged on a flame maple neck.  I got the SRV neck shape, which at first felt really strange to me, but now that I'm actually holding the finished guitar and feeling the neck, it feels like it might be really amazing.  We'll see.  Anyhoo, here's how it looked when i got it:

_IGP0702.jpg
_IGP0707.jpg
_IGP0708.jpg

I added some amber dye.  I probably dyed and sanded back 5 times or so:

_IGP3060.jpg
_IGP3063.jpg

Next, I did about 8 applications of boiled linseed oil.  It added a lot of dimension to the flames:

_IGP3075.jpg
_IGP3094.jpg
_IGP3101.jpg

_IGP3100.jpg

After letting it sit for a week-and-a-half or so, I started adding some nitro lacquer and the decal.  I kept it pretty light on the actual neck back, but applied a healthy amount to the front, back, and sides of the headstock. 

_IGP3196.jpg
_IGP3199.jpg

_IGP3200.jpg
_IGP3201.jpg

And here it is all wetsanded and polished.  When I do necks, I like to wetsand and polish the headstock, but just wetsand the the neck-back so that it's really smooth but not glossy.  The end result feels great and is a joy to play.

_IGP3965.jpg
_IGP3966.jpg
_IGP3969.jpg

_IGP3972.jpg
_IGP3974.jpg
_IGP3975.jpg

I can't believe how this neck turned out.  This is my first-ever "flamey"-anything.  I'm so happy with it.  I'll post more soon.

That is an attractive piece. I didn't know Fender made anything like that.

WOW,  :eek:  If I didn't know I would have sworn that was a different guitar. Great job on bringing someone troubled project back to like. It looks awesome.

Amazing. That neck is unreal. You've really got the knack for finishing; the body is sick, too. Great work.

I was thinking -- though you went with a top adjusting truss rod -- that the missing piece of the body between the neck pup route and the neck pocket would make it mildly easier for you to adjust a rod at the heel.

I'm incredibly impressed. Share some sound clips when she's in optimal working order.

1st up my apologies for NOT noticing this thread earlier  :doh:
2nd WOW  :blob7:    that is some very fine work your've done, I'm totally speechless ..........................................................................

That Neck is, I'm speechless again ...................................... WOW  :eek:

Now I know just who to send any reject bodies to, that I come across (of cause in winter time)

Sir my hat goes off to you & anyone else that dose this type of build, as I'd have NO hope  :toothy11:

Very Impressive & damm fine work ....... I'd give it a 18 out of 10  :icon_thumright: .... would've been 20 with a Dougie neckplate  :laughing7:

Wow! That is just fantastic!

And can I just say, Jalane you are getting very VERY good at your finishing

Back