Koa Limited Release

Once plentiful and cheap, Koa has become increasingly rare over the last two decades. So rare, in fact, that highly figured Koa is now nearly impossible to source. Warmoth has decided to offer our stock of figured Koa as limited releases over the next few years, and the first one is available now!

This release includes 24 bodies total, each one unique and eye-popping. The warmth and beauty of Koa is something no other wood species quite matches, so don't miss this chance to grab yours now!

See the Warmoth limited Koa release here.

View attachment 61438

How often do you folks plan on doing releases? Twice a year? or perhaps just about one a year? Also are there other reclaimed bunk bed necks in the future?

Got one! 🏖️🌴☀️

I bought a Koa top last summer when unique choice was still a thing. The options were on the slim side and, while it does look really, really nice, there's no way it can compete with some of those in that release. I couldn't resist this one! 🔥

View attachment 61439

Did you mean to say that the options from last year that you picked up were better than this year's offering? Which year had slim pickings? Is this photo that you uploaded a photo of this year or last year's offering?

Nice score! That one was one of my favorites too.

And "on the slim side" is correct. When we say it's getting hard to source we ain't kidding around.

I like to imagine that you folks are holding on to a huge batch that you guys got years and years ago back when Ken was still around. Are you folks still acquiring new koa wood from time to time?

That soloist was tempting,,,,

There was a soloist body with choice grain that sold out first before the second one sold out. I wanted the soloist body as well but by the time I finished my purchase of the strat body, my proffered soloist body had been bought. Oh well there is always next limited run. I am hoping for an amazing tele body, I would prefer a thinline tele but I would realistically just get the most high grade example that makes a Hawaii local smile.

Fun fact about ghostrider25, I lived on the Big Island of Hawaii which is the land of Koa up until 8 years ago. It was more plentiful there than on mainland USA, obviously, but even that well started to get quite a bit drier as the years passed by. Koa is just so slow growing. I have no idea how hard it is to source there locally these days, but I imagine it's probably only slightly easier and you probably have to have the right connections.

For example, "Ay brah! I get you some flame koa. My cuz has access to some land..."

More plentiful than the mainland USA ? What do you mean? Does Koa grow on the continental united states now?

Been to a few of the islands, but the Big Island is my favorite. So varied and beautiful. You can travel from scorching lava bends to snowy mountain tops to lush tropical rain forest in four hours.

When I was there I was lucky enough to see hot lava actually shooting up out of the top of a volcano, which had been a bucket list item for me.

Do you live on the Hilo side, or Kona side?

I actually met Ken in Hawaii with his wife 2018/19 I can't remember exactly which year it was but Ken and I had a nice chat despite how late in the evening it was.

How often do you go to Hawaii Aaron? Have you gone to any of the kona coffee farm tours while there?

The island of fire and ice!

I was on the Kona side and used to do a lot of photography. Kilauea was far from where I lived and it was tough to try to sync up with all of the major lava events due to work. I have gotten up super close where my shoes melted, my arm hair singed and I poked it with a stick. However, the most spectacular time I was there, I was able to get up really close where it was just pouring into the sea, but I didn't have my camera 😭

Shoulda coulda woulda right? Life has a way of doing that.

Told myself, "If Warmoth has a solid Koa bodied Strat, I'll buy it no matter the cost". They did, so I did. Not sure if we will see one available ever again, definitely a bucket list item for me.

Hey AA, is this batch from the infamous Ken Warmoth bed frame collection?

Was this during a previous years' offering? I did not see a solid koa offering a week ago.

I snagged one myself! Pretty sure I bought the most expensive one at $920 lol. Tele body with rear route and lots of curly Koa on the top.

Do you have a photo of your tele body? Did you happen to snag the tele body that was in the promotional ad? I'd like to see your tele body if you do not mind, did you finally get yours in the mail? I got one myself as well, I'll send you a photo of mine if you'd like to see as well.

Whatchoo talkin' bout, A-a-ron? There's only 6 bodies there....

I myself was amazed at how fast the bodies went. I woke up 30 minutes before the bodies went live and I kept refreshing the page until they showed up. As soon as I bought mine I went back to see if I could snag another body, nope, the good ones were gone.

Oh man, didn't see that one. Mine was 4 figures after tax and shipping though lol.

I got lucky because supposedly there was no tax in my state because they do not sell enough dollar wise in my state so I got to save on taxes. I was all paid up in the 4 figures as well after shipping too.

I'm thinking a roasted flame maple neck would go well with these?

That is exactly what I was thinking. I have a AAA flamed baked maple neck laying around that is MIJ so that was going to be the neck for this body for the time being until I found the ultimate neck for it, I have an idea to get a koa neck to match or a turtle inlay fretboard neck.

It's completely a matter of taste. IME guitars look best with either a blinged-out body or a blinged-out neck, but never both. Both always ends up a little:

f4d2a532e968a268cc8687cb9696f5b4.jpg

If you have photos laying around of that I would love to browse through a new thread of photos showing us examples of how two blinged out parts do not work. For the record : I totally believe you, but the photo above made me curious to see examples that you have seen.

I would guess a dark fretboard And a neck that matched the backside of the body or a dark neck.

I was thinking of an all maple neck as well, but I am not sure now. I have a roasted AAA flamed maple neck but now I am not sure.. hmm..🤔

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a 59 or boatneck roasted flame maple neck with a dark board.

what is your personal reason for liking thick necks if you do not mind me asking? I just got one as well and while I am usually for thin necks I seem to kind of warm up to this fat AAA maple neck I got.

For those needing reference, my thinline has a Warmoth unique choice KOA top on a roasted swamp ash body with a Warmoth unique choice Pau Ferro board and a roasted maple neck:
View attachment 61470

Wow Wow Wow, such a magnificent guitar! I noticed some people have awards like guitar of the month or build of the year, I hope you got guitar of the year for this thinline tele! I love this! This is exactly what I was hoping to find the day that they went live. Maybe next time they might have a thinline body..

Back