King V body

Anyone have a King V with contoured heel? How's the neck joint feel compared to the Jacksons that are bevelled on both sides with the strap button in the middle?

Do the King V bodies have a slight angle to the neck pocket?

Has anyone successfully requested them to change the output jack location to the top horn?

Waiting to call Warmoth but they're still waiting on answers to questions a week ago

I don't have one of those V-K bodies, though I can comment on a couple of points.

The neck pocket will be flat unless ordered for a bridge which requires an angled pocket, such as a TOM/STP type tailpiece for example.

I would think it would be difficult to move the output jack to the top horn, as it is not adjacent to the control cavity. I doubt they would do so, though it may be possible for someone to DIY it.

I have the V, but I'm a chugga-chugga player, not a meedly-meedly-wiaoooo player. So I can't comment on the feel of the upper frets. I've never played a Jackson King V so I can't tell any difference.

Hell, I built my V BECAUSE I can't find a Jackson near me in real life.

The inside of the pocket is not angled.

It is not physically possible to move the jack location to the top horn.

I did move the strap button from next to the neck plate to the top of the heel pocket. BIG difference in strap balance. Hardly any neck dive anymore.

The only remotely possible way to get the jack to the upper horn would be to use a really long drill bit and drill a hole from the neck pocket through the bottom of both pickup cavities to the desired location for the output jack on the upper horn, then meticulously drill/route the side of the body for the jack hole and possibly the plate if using a Strat output jack. This is a task not for the faint of heart, only for the experienced. The output cable is then routed from the control cavity through the bottom of the bridge pickup, to the jack location.

Has anyone successfully requested them to change the output jack location to the top horn?
They won't do it but yes, that's where it should be and Jackson is doing it right. The jack location and where you'll put the strap buttons are crucial for any V guitar, personally if I was ordering a V body I'd have it unfinished and I (or a tech to be precise) would rout for the correct jack location. It's extra work that will raise the cost if you don't do it yourself.

The only remotely possible way to get the jack to the upper horn would be to use a really long drill bit and drill a hole from the neck pocket through the bottom of both pickup cavities to the desired location for the output jack on the upper horn, then meticulously drill/route the side of the body for the jack hole and possibly the plate if using a Strat output jack. This is a task not for the faint of heart, only for the experienced. The output cable is then routed from the control cavity through the bottom of the bridge pickup, to the jack location.
Yyyyyyeahhhh, I'm not doing that. :)

I'd rather just buy a retail King V or RR than make a $1,000 mistake if I really wanted the jack on the upper wing. :LOL:

My only experience is with the reverend and they put the jack hole on the bottom v. All I can say is it works no problem. Strange to hear it’s the wrong place.

Off topic, but in classic Beavis & Butt-head "I have the maturity of a 12-year-old" fashion, I find it very challenging to suppress a chuckle at the term "jack hole."

My only experience is with the reverend and they put the jack hole on the bottom v. All I can say is it works no problem. Strange to hear it’s the wrong place.
Looking at traditional “V” players like Michael Schenker, Dave Mustaine and even a “V”-ish player like Dimebag, one commonality is that often then would anchor or lock the bottom horn of the “V” between their legs to facilitate a posture that would provide the angle to apply a particular technique in order to accomplish certain things as a player.

Having the jack moved to the inside of the upper horn gets it out of the way more comfortably for many players.

Looking at traditional “V” players like Michael Schenker, Dave Mustaine and even a “V”-ish player like Dimebag, one commonality is that often then would anchor or lock the bottom horn of the “V” between their legs to facilitate a posture that would provide the angle to apply a particular technique in order to accomplish certain things as a player.

Having the jack moved to the inside of the upper horn gets it out of the way more comfortably for many players.
Also it's easier to run the cable around the strap, which is usually on the upper horn, if the jack is near there. Otherwise you create a rudimentary archery bow.

Not going with a V anymore but having tried a Jackson they have the right idea with their jack placement - the whole lot, cable, strap, classical position is all comfortable and makes the most sense, the jack is just out of the way. Its just too bad they don't do many 22 fret KVs with floyds if any. I imagined the cable would look kinda goofy going from the bottom to the strap on the top horn, but I see how its easier for warmoth to do it this way.

If I were to revisit this I'd most likely order an unfinished body unless a confident tech/luthier has a way to do this cleanly. I thought about having some kind of flat jack plate rather than the strat style as I fumbled on the jacksons a bit.

I widened the opening on mine in order to install the Strat jack. And since I don't play out anywhere, it doesn't matter that the cable is on the bottom. My kids rarely give me more than 10 minutes to actually play, anyway, so there's not enough jamming time for the cable to get annoying! :)

Back