June Submissions - Guitar of the Month Contest (11 entries)

Okay, look, let's just cut this whole thing short.  Just gimme the "Best of June" title, and we can move on, alright?  :toothy12:

BTW, lovin' that orange bass!

Max...I love that finish on your tele!  At first glance I immediately thought of Gibson's TV yellow which is not a bad thing.  Then I read your description....TV WHITE.  Thats awesome.

One of these days I'm going to vote for the one that I think is actually the most beautiful and not the most incredibly unique original idea. But not this month.

dang, its already sooo tough to decide, and afterburner isn't even in there yet! Max's is just plain awesome (its a tonarcaster) . . . and that orange bass is amazing as well. The star is perfectly executed, as is the red strat . . . and the other one as an insane tramp stamp. How will I choose?!  :tard:  :help:

No, he's all done riding for now. He did mention a trike at one point but hasn't said anything about it lately.

I'll be heading there again in August to do some photography during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and we'll be gigging 4 or 5 nights that week. Lots of fun!

SolomonHelsing said:
After two attempts in the course of a year, i believe my purple Z isnt going appear again, maybee third time lucky somepoint  :dontknow:
though i did get more votes last month than before, so im happy about that  :toothy12: :toothy12:

However whatever its cousin turns out to be, may well have a fighting chance with any of the ideas i have planned  :evil4: :evil4:

i have entered my zebra strat three times...came really close last time...maybe it is just the competition is thinning...

Hey Telenator,  I'll try to check your band out in Sturgis this August.  My wife and I ride up there every year.  Great looking bass btw!

B3Guy said:
dang, its already sooo tough to decide, and afterburner isn't even in there yet! Max's is just plain awesome (its a tonarcaster) . . . and that orange bass is amazing as well. The star is perfectly executed, as is the red strat . . . and the other one as an insane tramp stamp. How will I choose?!  :tard:  :help:

Thanks for the compliment on my Star."  I've heard it referred to as a lot of things, but "perfectly executed" hasn't been one of'em!  When I set out to build a custom, I had a lot of visions for it.  I knew I wanted a guitar that looked "totally Metal," and I had a few different finishes picked out; the other finish I had picked out was the "green to yellow" burst.  That would have looked really cool.  Maybe I'll do that for my next one.  :headbang1:

Anyway, I spent A LOT of time picking and choosing the parts, and everything else.  It turned out much nicer than I had envisioned.  Photos honestly don't do the guitar justice, especially the neck. 

swarfrat said:
One of these days I'm going to vote for the one that I think is actually the most beautiful and not the most incredibly unique original idea. But not this month.
I have the same problem, I look at execution of idea, or for originality, or for some theme. Pretty seems something that gets lost in the translation when you have an 8 string bass or other original idea. and when you have a well executed theme like the spitfire guitar everything just pales. I guess I just look to hard.
but there is hope, I sure do think there is a purty one this month
now to choose, hummmmmmmmmmm.

Jusatele said:
swarfrat said:
I have the same problem, I look at execution of idea, or for originality, or for some theme. Pretty seems something that gets lost in the translation when you have an 8 string bass or other original idea. and when you have a well executed theme like the spitfire guitar everything just pales. I guess I just look to hard.
but there is hope, I sure do think there is a purty one this month
now to choose, hummmmmmmmmmm.

Not to discredit any of the contestants' guitars here, as I think they're all very nice, but the one that stands out to me the most is that orange bass.  It's totally original, and the "arched" body just really sets it apart. 

Obviously, I have a bit of favoritism towards my own guitar, as we all have favoritism towards our own guitars, but that orange bass deserves the win; it's just a very original theme and design.  I've never seen anything like it.  Not to mention, that shade of orange is just very striking, and works very well with the light wood of the neck.

Dough Boy...that strat is killer!  Kinda Charvelesq.  Love the P-90s in trip!

Does that say sammy davis Jr on the top?  What is the significance of that?

gstring120 said:
Hey Telenator,  I'll try to check your band out in Sturgis this August.  My wife and I ride up there every year.  Great looking bass btw!

That would be awesome!

It's not my band though. I had the good fortune of meeting up with these guys on a guitar forum several years ago when I was traveling a lot and looking to play some music in other states. They let me sit in one night about 10 years ago and we've been doing it ever since.

When I travel I often get bored at night so it's really great to have some friends out there who let the old guy sit in with them! Over the years I have learned many of their songs so, by the 3rd or 4th night during rally week, we;ve got it goin' on!

And thank you to those who have made such nice comments about the Orange Bass. I call it "Ergo-Vibe" and I have been so thrilled with the outpouring of support and interest in the project.

I chose the color after seeing a hand-built jazz guitar some years ago and just fell ion love with that transparent orange. If I had it to do all over again, I would have had Warmoth paint the peghead black to balance out the color scheme with the pickup.

The brass bezel around the pickup is the result of a "slip-o-the template" while routing the pickup cavity. I like the way it turned out but wish I hadn't screwed up in the first place.
Ergo2lo-res.jpg

As I'm getting older, I'm realizing that many people have stepped up on my behalf over the years so, I'm just trying to give something back. It feels good and I hope other players can benefit from this project. It truly works well!

DMRACO said:
Dough Boy...that strat is killer!  Kinda Charvelesq.  Love the P-90s in trip!

Does that say sammy davis Jr on the top?  What is the significance of that?

I suppose it has a hint of the original San Dimas Charvels Wayne started building in the early 80s. Those were my favorties out of anything the Charvel line ever built.

I thought the P-90 would be a cool departure from the standard pickup configurations & Lindy Fralin was kind enough to custom wind these for me. They sound like P-90s but are completely noiseless.

I put Sammy Davis Jr on all of my headstocks. I'm a huge fan & don't like the look of blank headstocks. Plus, putting a fake Fender decal on something as nice as a Warmoth is just plain wrong.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
...if this month's is Warmoth/Professionally, what was last month's?
Last months was "The May contest will be for any Bass Guitar assembled from a Warmoth body, a Warmoth neck, or both.  Entries may have their finishes applied by Warmoth, the instruments's owner, or a third party."
tl;dr: last month was any bass with a W neck and/or body

Per this month's rules, who did the finish on the Orange Bass?  And if this month's is Warmoth/Professionally, what was last month's?

Mark Stolson, www.stolguitars.com donated the finish.

It's a transparent orange nitro finish and the neck is clear nitro.

It was professionally finished but, like you, I'm a little confused as to the rules. I hope I'm not out of line with my submission.

Telenator said:
Per this month's rules, who did the finish on the Orange Bass?  And if this month's is Warmoth/Professionally, what was last month's?

Mark Stolson, www.stolguitars.com donated the finish.

It's a transparent orange nitro finish and the neck is clear nitro.

It was professionally finished but, like you, I'm a little confused as to the rules. I hope I'm not out of line with my submission.

Bass with a Warmoth neck and a pro finish, seems to me it's perfectly in line with this month's submissions.  It is very cool to boot!

Back