Jolly Roger Soloist

Max Headroom

I just finished this Soloist body with an Arcade neck. I did the finishing of the swamp ash body with Oxford Guitar Supply nitro spray cans. I had to do it twice as the first try I screwed up with the white grain filler. The neck is birdseye maple finished by Warmoth. I am quite pleased with the end result!
  • Gotoh 510
  • Bare Knuckle Pickups Silo set with wave etch
  • GraphTech Ratio tuners
  • custom truss rod cover, ebony with Jolly Roger inlay
  • custom 'R' headstock badge
Soloist Guitar Body
Roasted Swamp Ash
24 Fret Reposition
Forearm Contour, Tummy Cut, Contoured Heel
No Paint

Arcade Guitar Neck
Modern Tiltback
Birdseye Maple
1-11/16" (43mm) - Modern Medium
Standard Thin
10" - 16" Compound
24 Fret Extension
6150 - Wide & Tall (Nickel)
Planet Waves (13/32")
Sharkfin Black Pearloid
Black Side Dots
Standard Nut - GraphTech Black TUSQ XL
Clear Gloss

PXL_20240622_164252228-1024.jpg
PXL_20240622_164320509.MP-1024.jpg
PXL_20240622_164352369-1024.jpg
PXL_20240622_164405098-1024.jpg

Thanks for looking!

That is quite metally. Very cool. Great job, and I appreciate the individuality you infused!!! 👍👍

FedEx just delivered a set of Graph Tech Ratios for me a couple hours ago. I hope they turn out to be awesome. I’ll see when I get home from work.

Congrats again!!!

Love it! Can you elaborate on the finishing process?
Absolutely! I'll skip the failed first attempt.
  • Sanded to 320, then used a wire brush to accentuate the open grain, keeping the wire brush moving parallel to the grain so as not to scratch the closed grain portions too much. I used considerable amount of pressure with the wire brush to really dig into the open grains.
  • Sanded to 320 again but very lightly to keep the open grain "open".
  • Vacuumed all the sawdust out of the open grain.
  • 1 light coat of spray primer.
  • 2 coats of ebony spray nitrocellulose lacquer being careful to not fill the open grain too much.
  • Very light sanding.
  • 2 light coats of sanding sealer, again being careful not to fill the open grain too much. This part was key so that the grain filler would not "stick" to the ebony paint.
  • fill all the open grain with white grain filler (Saman Latex Wood Filler). Used a sort of squeegee procedure to really stuff it into the grain.
  • 0000 steel wool to remove the excess filler from the closed grain areas.
  • white grain filler and steel wool procedure again.
  • final sprays of sanding sealer to "lock in" the filler.
  • Then you know the rest...multi coats of gloss lacquer, sanding, buffing, polishing.
I hope that helps! First time ever doing this type of finish so it was all new to me.

Thank-you.

Back