jimmy page tone

dmraco

Master Member
I am looking to build a jimmy page number two clone, with my own weeks of house.

Can anyone recommend a good pickup to get close to his tone...without breaking the bank.

Thx

Break the bank?  Most all popular pickups and electronics to sound like whoever you want costs about the same, give or take a bit, but you need the rest of the signal chain to go with it, whatever that may be.

Just google search artists name followed by signal chain, and youle be able to find exactly what was used for what song, within reason, some guys put miss info just to promote the mystique of their sound.

I think Jimmy Page's sound came from his finger tips, and not a lot of fancy stuff

David Gilmour on the other hand has a signal path about 6 miles long

What I meant about the cost was keeping it.in line with other pickups.  Most good PAF style will run about 50-70 bucks.  I have seen these  "Special" wounds that can cost close to $200. 

Right now I have an Orange amp that I am playing thru and that is getting 90% of the sound.  I thought since I am going to try to build a replica, I may as well consider the pickups too.  Duncan 59 and Pearly Gates are at the top of my list.  I want to look at some dimarzio too.

I have a Lollar Imperial I think sounds VERY Page like, but it will break your bank.  :tard:

Maybe try ebay for a used one ?

black dog? no, not really. that pickup is too warm and too compressed/congested to be even considered a paf-clone/copy or something like that.

the '59 is VERY nice. that pickup will definitely get you in that 'page' territory. the pearly gates is much more rude, nasty, agressive and bold than the '59.

I say, a 59-set :)

(I'm so tempted not to say '59-custom hybrid!' but that pickup is too powerful for that page-tone, but it sounds to much better than a 59 on its own; much more 3D more dynamics, more harmonics, more of everything).

2 PAFS in the middle position.  Adjust volumes and tones.  Most important thing is to put it in the middle for most of his stuff.

jimmy is a studio wiz, he used 3 guitars, stock tele, 2 stock lp's a 1958 and 1959...(early albums) +martins and danelectro. you know the one lp from joe walsh... amp setting and tubes , and all talent! 

Back