JazzMaster build

dmraco

Master Member
OK...trying my hand at paint again.  Not my favorite.

This is an Alder JazzMaster with Maple Neck.  Color will be a Fender Sonic Blue.  Guitar will have a gloss and neck will have no color added and will simply be satin.  Pickups will be P-Rails and bridge will be a Floyd...

White nitro primer

What are you priming with?  Looks like a fun build.  Sweet fingerboard on that neck.

Bagman

I am using ReRanch stuff here.  It is a white nitro primer.  Rattle can.  I shot the whole can and sanded smooth with 800.  Waiting for the rain to stop and on to the Sonic Blue.

Nice.

I'm thinking about using B-I-N shellac-based white pigmented primer to refinish my Peavey Predator, and I was hoping you might have been using that so I could get a view from the trenches on how well it works.  Looks like I'll keep looking.

Are you planning on matching the headstock, or keeping it natural?

Bagman67 said:
Nice.

I'm thinking about using B-I-N shellac-based white pigmented primer to refinish my Peavey Predator, and I was hoping you might have been using that so I could get a view from the trenches on how well it works.  Looks like I'll keep looking.

Are you planning on matching the headstock, or keeping it natural?

the owner wants it natural.  I tried to talk him into color or at least some amber on the neck.  I did get a killer water slide for it...

sonic blue applied.  It is hard to capture this color in a photo.  I put it up against some blues and greys for refference

F0DC3EF2_zps359abba5.jpg

Looking good! That Re-Ranch pigmented stuff works pretty good once you get the hang of it.

Tonar8353 said:
Looking good! That Re-Ranch pigmented stuff works pretty good once you get the hang of it.

Thanks....VERY LIGHT COATS......... :icon_thumright:

Using Behlens nitro over it.

Tonar8353 said:

Do you have any opinions about the Zinsser product, Tonar?

Bagman

I have not used the product for the application you are talking about so I have no opinion regarding it. Sorry  :dontknow:

I spent the day sanding....forever.  For alder this had some grain.  I felt I was getting close to the color so I sprayed some more nitro.  Looks great.  Just a slight orange peal...should buff right out....(John Candy)

Loving this satin poly.  Feels sooooo good on the neck.  Almost natural.  Just a few coats and buff with 0000 steel wool.  Still need to bury the waterslide a little more but I thought I would post a pic.

C81A8703_zpsc1303659.jpg

reluctant-builder said:
I dig the decal!

Did you make that, or get it from elsewhere? If elsewhere ... where did you get it?

Thanks.

ebay....2 for $15
hhis name is vidiot72

Body......DONE :headbang:

I really took my time with this.  I did sand thru on the underside of the upper horn.  I guess the clear was not a thick there.  Glad I had some blue left over.  I could not be happier.

E5D901BB_zpscd20a116.jpg

3BC0A1B7_zpsbb0bdc21.jpg

the wiring had been done for a while....this is just a test fit...

D76513B7_zpsa3ee0bc2.jpg

Love those fret markers....

6F480CDB_zps1c721f1d.jpg

DMRACO said:
the wiring had been done for a while....this is just a test fit...

D76513B7_zpsa3ee0bc2.jpg

Love those fret markers....

6F480CDB_zps1c721f1d.jpg

Dayum!! That's awesome! I love those fret markers too, looks sweet! You'll love the P-rails, I used a set in my baritone build, excellent pickups.

How did you go about wiring the two p-rails with the switches?  Is one a pup selector and the other select pickup mode for both?

Back