Jazz....P/MM Fretless

datsgor

O.K.  I finished this one about 6 months ago......It only recently got the fretless neck.....somrtimes it takes a while for the right pieces to come together...but this body was meant to have fretless......Black Korina/ Tobacco Burst.  Maple/Ebony neck....John East pre and Nordstrand pup's.  It Mwwaaaaas with the best of 'em.

Sorry.....the pictures have been lost.

Man, some of the instruments posted in the last few days are making me feel like a real amateur. This one is fantastic.

Wow. I'm not a burst kind of guy, but that korina sure is pretty... to say nothing of the fingerboard!

And +1 to what RLW said, there's some serious Custom Shop quality builds showing up currently. Can't wait to do one myself!

Have you drilled the MM rout in this place or Warmoth have made it for you???
Dreaming with a P Bass with a MM in the actual P Bass p.u. place

The routes were done by Warmoth.....The MM is in the "sweet" spot and the P-Bass is moved 1 coil forward (so the bottom coil is where the top coil should be on a normal P-Bass and the top coil is in front of that.)  Makes for a very smooth deep P-bass sound.  I would dig a MM in the P-bass spot...I have thought of it many times. I think it would sound great.

The controls..starting from the pup's.  V/Pup balance.    Treble/Bass.    Mid/Mid Sweep.  The swithces are  Active/Passive and pup selection in passive mode.

Peace. John

Good call - my Warmoth is a single coil p/mm config, and I love it to death.

datsgor said:
I would dig a MM in the P-bass spot...I have thought of it many times. I think it would sound great.
Jay Turser made a bass that had two MM pickups in it, so one was where the P would be (I think) and it sounded really good!
Well...I mean, it sounded like a Jay Turser, but it gives you an idea of what a good MM in that position would sound like. And it is cool.

Back