Jag VS Mustang?

Personally I think the mustang is one ugly lookin' guitar. I think the Jazzmaster looks better than the Jaguar to me as well.

My friend has a reissue Mustang and it isn't a bad guitar really I guess, but the damn thing doesn't stay in tune worth a shit. Maybe it's the crappy bridge.

Most likely the crappy bridge. I want so much for Warmoth to offer different bridge routings on their Mustangs.
Concerning looks, I like the Jaguar's p/ups better than Jazzmaster's, but then I don't like the 3 chrome p/guarding on the Jaguar. And I don't even want to rant about the bridges on all 3. Ugly and terrible is enough

Terrible as they may be, and trust me I agree with you, there have been some interesting uses over the years of that length of string behind the bridge...any Sonic Youth, Dinosuar Jr., or Nels Cline fans out there will attest.

Muahahahahaaah, Sonic Youth! "Teen Age Riot" on my Myspace.

:headbang1:    :headbang1:    :headbang1:
A better Blue Man Group

Sir Schmoopie said:
some higher dollar jags have p90s

I'm I missing something or are you talking about the Jazzmaster?  The Jazzmaster pups weren't P90s, just similar looking because of their soapbar style.

Oh man Nels Cline.. I'm not interested in hearing him jerk around like he too-often does on his solo stuff. But when he's playing with a band, I mean really playing, the dude is so fantastic. Watching, listening to him solo in Wilco is a huge rush.

Well, after looking for a cheap MUSTANG to trade someone for,
I was talking to my old friend that I borrowed the MUSTANG from
back in the 1980's.........

Me: Hey, what year is that old MUSTANG anyway?

Roberto: Don't know. You're the one who set up the deal
with a friend of yours that was selling it.....

Me: What?? I don't remember that?!?!?!

Roberto: Yah, got it for $40. Remember?

Me: No! Not at all! You mean I let one slip past me?

Roberto: Next time you're up this way, why don't you stop
by and pick it up. It's yours. Consider it a present......

Me: THUNK <sound of jaw droping to floor> !!!!!

So, here it is, some 20 years later and the MUSTANG will be in my hands soon.
What a Bro! Few of those around these day - yah know.

Now this MUSTANG was NEVER pampered. It was once stripped and coated
half-assed with white house pain LONG BEFORE my friend bought it.

So, when I get it, I'll post some picks and get your feelings on how this guitar gets
redone and this sweet little pony gets back on the racetrack.

Mine:

MyPictures00142ejpgmsg699006AF-C73B.jpg

MyPictures00132ejpgmsg699006AF-C73B.jpg

Hardtail string-thru bridge, GOOD Lawrence pickups, concentric tone/volume for each, GOOD Grover tuners.... you can reach some different chords and licks with the frets closer together, it's equivalent to a Strat with a capo at the 2nd fret or a Les Paul with a capo at the 1st fret. Bear in mind that the Mustang is 1.5" thick like a SG and the Jaguar is 1.75" thick like a Tele or Les Paul, the other design elements can balance it out. Mahavishnu John McLaughlin used a Mustang on Miles Davis's Bitches Brew, In a Silent Way and Jack Johnson, nuff said.

Wow, this thread took a turn didn't it.

Back to the topic for a moment, the OP wanted to build a jag or mustang because of the tone he liked from his buddies guitar.

My answer is this, you can replicate that sound in any guitar, with the right wood and pick-up selection. so dont be thinking that by building a jag or mustang that your gonna get the same sound. every guitar is unique

You guys should listen to Nirvana unplugged, I think it's their best work, Would have loved to see what Kurt would have done in the future

it  twas good, but not as good to there other stuff in my opinion, but i'm only one person out of like six billion people, so opinions may vary.

Back