It's Here! Padouk/Pau Ferro Jazz Bass Neck!

Ok, two more surprises today!
I got the bottle of Howard Feed N' Wax that i ordered in the mail today, and i got the Padouk pen blanks that i bought on eBay.

The neck was a bit rough feeling at first, but now that i put the Feed N' Wax on it and buffed it up really good, the neck feels abslutely amazing!
You guys are right about the raw necks... Given the choice of satin or gloss, i strongly prefer gloss, but this raw neck beats them both. This is honestly the best neck i have ever played on in my life!

I ordered some 5.5in. X 0.75in. X 0.75in. Padouk pen blanks on eBay, which i am using to make a matching Padouk thumbrest for the bass.
I was expecting that i would have to take several tries to get the thumbrest right, with my poor woodworking skills, but i actually got it perfect on the first try.

So now i have a Padouk thumbrest for the bass, which matches the neck nicely.

3317060495_38a91b7c41.jpg

3317887020_3e7c402b45.jpg

Late to the party again I see.

That's a beautiful neck, and nice job on the thumbrest!  You planning on putting a finish on the thumbrest?

This may be a stupid question, but am i in any danger if i just put the neck on and tune up without doing any truss rod adjustments?
I usually leave stuff like this to my luthier, but i am not bringing him the bass until it's fully assembled and ready to be set up.

Danger?  No... you are quite safe.  Necks are designed to be strung.  :icon_tongue:  It might have crappy action or buzz a lot...

I would tighten the truss rod just up to flat first, before tightening the strings.... re Gregg's instruction's here:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=7114.0

Pretty soon, your luthier won't be taking your money anymore..... :hello2:

I took the neck off and turned the truss rod a quarter turn clockwise, then put it back on and strung up.

Is this cool?

I just read that you are not supposed to adjust the truss rod with the strings off. I always thought that you were supposed to take the strings off when you adjust?

I've heard that.  I've also heard never take all of the strings off when re-stringing.  With that neck construction, and with a pickguard on, it's just about impossible to adjust w/out taking the neck off of the body, let alone the strings.  I'm been in forums where someone will say tuning a 4-string to B-E-A-D is bad for the neck because it has more tension, which is false.  E-A-D-G has more string tension.  That same person will say that's bad and then carry on how they tune to drop C.  Go figure.

This neck is awesome!  And thanks for all the little tidbits of info regarding my own build.  :hello2:

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
I would have to use ebony for a tyradactal tone right? I pretty sure that isn't spelt right.

Pterodactyl. I think lacewood might work best, its structure is the best analogue to the hollow bones of flying creatures.

Man, I haven't seen, heard, spoken or written that word in ca 15 years and I didn't even have to look it up. Memory is weird.

line6man said:
I got the body yesterday.

Here it is, fully shielded:
3343457595_45675f4c0f.jpg

And a mockup of the finished bass: (the pickguard will be solid black though, not B/W/B)
3343457805_b444a3395f.jpg

Did the fingerprints come standard?  Or was that $85 extra?  :icon_jokercolor:

PrestonSF said:
Did the fingerprints come standard?  Or was that $85 extra?   :icon_jokercolor:

I hired a bunch of girls to have a hand orgy on the bass.  :toothy12: :toothy10:

That's the only problem with black guitars though. :sad:

Back